How to fix a horrible case of flickering

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omar Ayoub
How to fix a horrible case of flickering
on Aug 22, 2018 at 5:19:46 am
Last Edited By Omar Ayoub on Aug 22, 2018 at 5:56:41 am

Hello,

I shot this interview some five years ago (at which point I had no time for any testing, and knew very little about the effects of a mismatch between the camera's shutter speed and the fluorescent lights I had used). Long story short, almost five hours of an incredibly important interview are plagued with constant horizontal flickering, across the whole width of the clip.

I used Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free and tested all the presets and parameters, but to no avail. The clips are all .MXF, and it's like FF doesn't work on them at all. I've rendered a crop of the video (mpeg, matched to sequence settings) so that you can see the flickering. I would really appreciate any tips on how I can make this work.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: How to fix a horrible case of flickering
on Aug 22, 2018 at 12:40:49 pm
Last Edited By John Pale on Aug 22, 2018 at 12:41:32 pm

No experience with Digital Anarchy’s filter, but the one in BorisFX Continuum package did a wonderful job for me a few years back. Its not free, however.
Pretty sure they have a fully functional time limited trial, though.

Return to posts index

Omar Ayoub
on Aug 22, 2018 at 6:41:57 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will give the trial version a shot and update soon. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Aug 23, 2018 at 8:38:14 am

I had quite a few of those. Used RE:Vision FX deflicker and did a good job.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 24, 2018 at 2:43:02 pm

I've had great success with Re:Vision DeFlicker as well. Not a fast process, though. Expect one hour of processing per minute of footage. Five hours of footage could take weeks to chew through at that rate. Better lock down an edit first to see what actually needs to be processed.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Omar Ayoub
on Aug 24, 2018 at 8:30:44 pm

Thank you for your reply. You're absolutely right about locking down the edit first. As for FF, it didn't work for me unfortunately, and I even reached out to Digital Anarchy and they told me that it wouldn't work in my case specifically (because it's slow banding and not the typical fast flicker). I also gave BorisFX Flicker Fixer a try, and it didn't work either. My only option is to create adjustment layers over the area of the flicker and keyframe them to match the movement.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 27, 2018 at 12:00:54 am

If you want to post a clip I can download someplace, i can see if I can find a good setting on the Boris Filter. Probably need at least 5-10 seconds to make a go of it. For what its worth, the cropped image you posted doesn't look as bad as what I fixed with Boris a few years ago. Hard to tell, though.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 27, 2018 at 6:54:42 am

Here's how Re:Vision DeFlicker result from your cropped footage looks. Pretty extreme settings, 8-frame window, meaning the plugin looks back and forward 8 frames for a total of 16 frames to determine the result. Almost 6 minutes render time for 9 seconds of cropped footage, so one second of full footage is about 1 minute of render time (actual speed depending on system specs).

12672_12662deflickersequence.mp4.zip

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]