FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I transform 60 fps to 24 fps in Premiere Pro?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
How can I transform 60 fps to 24 fps in Premiere Pro?
on Aug 20, 2018 at 1:22:36 am

Basically I shot some 60 fps shots for slow motion and want to slow it down to 24 fps in Premiere Pro, or 23.976 to be more exact. I have a 23.976 timeline but when I put the 60 fps clip on the timeline, it still plays in 60 fps. I tried following this tutorial:

In the tutorial, it says to click on 'modify' in order to get to the 24 fps option. However, when I do this, the 'modify' option is grayed out and is not click-able. I cannot figure out why this is, can anyone help?

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: How can I transform 60 fps to 24 fps in Premiere Pro?
on Aug 20, 2018 at 5:13:17 am

Make sure to "Modify / Interpret footage..." from your bin window and not the timeline.

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 20, 2018 at 5:42:34 am

Okay thanks, but I tried that already, and it's still grayed out.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 20, 2018 at 5:43:21 am

Sorry I misunderstood, I see what you mean now. It worked, thanks!

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 20, 2018 at 9:39:11 am

However, after converting to 24 fps now, there seems to be jerks in the footage. Could this be from the conversion since 24 is not divisible by 60?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 20, 2018 at 9:48:37 am

What I mean to be more specific, is that it looks like frames are missing after I export it.

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Aug 20, 2018 at 3:03:46 pm

Ryan,

I am not sure what you are talking about. When Interpreting footage in PrP there is no export involved.
Please be more descriptive about your process and what you are trying to achieve.

Best,

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Lucy Augustine
on Aug 20, 2018 at 9:07:13 pm

I hope its ok that I'm piggybacking off of yr forum post, cause I'm actually having different problems with the same subject.

My producer wants me to take video they accidentally shot at 60 fps and drop the extra frames and convert it to 24 fps. I've been trying to find programs that can do this for me, so far Ive only found G Film : http://www.nattress.com/Products/filmeffects/G_Film.htm but I'm trying to see if there are any other options that are free. So far my solution has been to place my clip in a 60fps timeline and change the speed by 225% and using optical flow. Does that work? Does anyone know of a better way?

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 20, 2018 at 10:21:33 pm

I can chime in on this. I've never actually converted 60 fps to 24, accept for slow motion, but not to be played in 24 frames per SECOND playback.

I was told though in film school that if you do this, that it causes the frames to be timed unevenly which can cause the video to look weird at times. I've never actually seen this, but this is what I was told before. But there may be a way to get the frames more evenly timed that I am not aware of.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 20, 2018 at 3:11:03 pm

Rather than modifying the frame rate, try this - drop the unmodified 60p clip into a 24p timeline, and then apply 40% speed in timeline using Speed/Duration

Because 60 x .4 = 24

This should use every frame for playback = smooth slow-motion playback

I use 60p clips in 30p timeline (with 50% speed) and results are perfect every time. Should be no different for 60p to 24p (40%)

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:09:51 pm

Okay thanks, but why 40%? I want to get it as slow as I can, if possible.

As for exporting, what I mean is, is that when I export the scene into an H.264 video to send off to the other filmmakers to see how the scene plays out, it looks like frames are missing after the export.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:29:40 pm

40% is as slow as you can go with 60p source into 24p sequence without duplicating frames. You can of course go slower if you want to, but then the motion becomes less smooth.

In my own example of shooting wedding footage at 60fps, I then edit in 30fps timeline. When I put the 60p clips into the 30p timeline, they play at "normal speed" by default - Premiere just skips every other frame during playback so we really only see 30 frames of the original 60 frames and the other 30 are unused/unseen.

Now, if I apply 50% slow to that same clip, that doubles the duration - a one-second clip becomes two seconds long. Two seconds at video playing at 30fps would requires 60 frames of video, right? Well, since my source clip is 60fps, at 50% speed Premiere still has enough frames available in that source clip to not duplicate any during playback, for silky-smooth slow-motion where every frame of source clip is played once. Hope that makes sense.

So if we put the 60fps clip into a 24fps sequence, we can then drop to 40% speed and get the same smooth result with every frame of source clip being played once. Because 60 x .40 = 24. The one-second of 60fps footage will play for 2.5 seconds at 40% speed and still show every original frame with no duplicates.

Back to 60p clip in 30p sequence, if I use 25% now every frame needs to be played TWICE to fill the new duration, then it is not as smooth. You'd get a similar result in 24p sequence at 20%.

There are options in Speed/Duration effect that tries to blend the frames in various ways to improve the smoothness of slow-motion, such as Frame Blending or Optical Flow. But of course do not use those options unless dropping below the speed threshold of playing each frame once.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 20, 2018 at 8:39:52 pm

Okay thanks. I tried exporting the video again, and it looks better now as if the frames are not missing. Perhaps something went wrong with just the one export for some reason.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]