FORUMS: list search recent posts

stereo vs multichannel sequence settings?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liz Parham
stereo vs multichannel sequence settings?
on Aug 8, 2018 at 8:11:50 pm

I've taken over a project in which the main edited sequence is multichannel that I think was created from a synced multicam clip mapped to 3 mono tracks. I am constantly hearing audio from either L / R and don't hear any audio coming from track 3 which is mapped to 3-4. I've created a new stereo sequence and copied all the contents so everything is now center and I can hear all the tracks. I'm wondering though what are best practices for editing with multicam audio? I generally cut in stereo just to avoid messing with the audio channel configuration, but since I took over this project and the previous editor was cutting in multichannel, I'm wondering if I should revisit some premiere audio tutorials. If I were to create a new multichannel sequence do I need to pan everything L / R or can I keep the mono tracks center? I realize for broadcast delivery every channel must be isolated but it's cumbersome to edit with only hearing tracks on one ear.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: stereo vs multichannel sequence settings?
on Aug 9, 2018 at 1:48:23 pm

Not quite sure I've fully understood but ...

You can map the physical output of your tracks from the Audio Track Mixer as follows:

Make sure to select 1-2 if you want to hear them out of physical outputs 1-2.

If you want a mono output of specific tracks you can set up a mono Submix and route them to that.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Liz Parham
on Aug 9, 2018 at 4:27:45 pm

Thank you, I'm wondering in general if it's better practice to edit in a multichannel sequence vs a stereo one. So when a multicam sequence is created do I base my main editing sequence off those settings or should I just edit in a normal stereo one and deliver in multichannel when I need to.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 9, 2018 at 4:34:41 pm

It really depends.

If you need to deliver multichannel out of Premiere then you need to start in a multichannel sequence, as you can't change the track configuration after you've started.

What I tend to do though is work in stereo and then create a new multichannel sequence for the final output and paste into it from the stereo master. In my case, I'm using mixes from ProTools rather than mixing inside Premiere.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Liz Parham
on Aug 9, 2018 at 5:28:47 pm

ah yes normally I send everything to a sound mixer for finishing and the stereo sequences have been fine.

If you can easily copy / paste your sequence to a new multichannel sequence I'd prefer that over cutting in multichannel just to avoid hearing different L / R outputs. If I did need to deliver multichannel out of premiere instead of sending it to protools, the copy / paste method would work? Or would I still need to start my edit in a multichannel sequence.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 9, 2018 at 5:39:19 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Aug 9, 2018 at 5:42:22 pm

Yes, you could still copy and paste from stereo into a fresh multichannel sequence.

If you wanted to route to outputs other than 1-2 you'd need to sort that all out manually via the Audio Track Mixer but it's easy enough to do - assuming the tracks have already been laid out sensibly. If you've got elements that you want to separate that are on the same track, you'll need to move them to the tracks that have the output assignment you need.

By the sound of it, I can't imagine this is a scenario you'd need to address especially though ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Liz Parham
on Aug 9, 2018 at 8:02:41 pm

all makes sense -- thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]