FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add new Preview codecs on Windows (including Quicktime) - solution

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Livingstone
Add new Preview codecs on Windows (including Quicktime) - solution
on Aug 6, 2018 at 11:43:02 am
Last Edited By George Livingstone on Aug 6, 2018 at 4:34:35 pm

So you want more codecs for rendering Premiere previews on Windows (may work on Mac too, not sure)?

I needed this to work in 4:4:4 with my preferred lossless codec (UT in this case), but you may also want it for unusual frame sizes etc. Googling threw up exactly nothing and I spent some time trying to hack config files - turns out it's much easier!

Assuming a custom sequence configuration (other editing modes may use other paths, see below), and CS6 (probably works on current versions too if you find the right paths):

Simply add any suitable .EPR (ie. codec preset) file to

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\Settings\EncoderPresets\SequencePreview\9678AF98-A7B7-4bdb-B477-7AC9C8DF4A4E

This folder contains the .EPR files for all the preview render codecs you normally see in a custom sequence

eg. to add full QuickTime support, find 'QuickTime.EPR' and copy it into this folder.
(mine was found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Settings\EncoderPresets\SequencePreview\795454D9-D3C2-429d-9474-923AB13B7018)

That's it, don't even need to restart Premiere IIRC, just reopen the sequence config (if not, do). And it works on existing sequences of the same type.

Same should work for other codecs.

The folder above depends on the 'editing mode' Premiere uses. If your sequence settings use a different mode, save a sequence preset of this type with a useful name, and then find the file here:

C:\Users\Ford\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\6.0\Settings\Custom

Open the file in a text editor, and look for

<EditingModeGUID.Win>9678af98-a7b7-4bdb-b477-7ac9c8df4a4e</EditingModeGUID.Win>

This bunch of numbers is the folder (in the same path as above) that your editing mode uses. Copying .EPR files there should work for you.

Note, if you plan to use Smart Rendering, the preview codec you choose is important. Do some Googling on that ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]