FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames During Capture

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Woliner
Dropped Frames During Capture
on Aug 5, 2018 at 11:13:04 pm

Hey Everyone,
I have been trying recently to backup my collection of mini-DV tapes to digital files. I am using a camera, connected to my MacBook Pro sunning Sierra, via a FireWire cable to a FireWire converter between the two different versions, to a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter, to a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

I know it's a lot of daisy chaining, but it's what I needed to get it to work, at this point. Until my last plain old MacBook pretty much died, I didn't even have a way to capture FireWire unless I used an old iMac, though I don't currently have access to that, and it was always slow in cueing up, anyway.

In the end, Final Cut, being by default non-linear digital video editor, doesn't seem to want to capture, consistently crashing when I hit Log & Capture. I have been doing some capturing with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. It's worked for a good chunk of stuff, but lately, the frame drops have really become a problem.

There will only be maybe one or two out of an entire hour-plus of tape, but anything after the first drop becomes out of sync between the video and the audio. It's happened with several tapes, now, though not all of them. It's incredibly frustrating, as this has to be done in real time, and it stinks to have to do it again and again, hoping for no drops, so it's not another waste of time and effort.

Any advice on preventing the drops, or otherwise, how to not get the off-sync issue from such drops? I don't see why 1 or 2 frames would cause several second-long discrepancy between video and audio. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance!

-Zach

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]