FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speeding Up Rendering with Dynamic Link

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aidan Collett
Speeding Up Rendering with Dynamic Link
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:04:44 pm

Hello!

I have been editing a premiere pro project for some time now and have been using dynamic link with after effects to create VFX. Render time is taking forever, and is specifically stopping on the linked clips.

I have searched to figure out the best ways to speed up my rendering, but none have worked well. Most times, the words "export" and "render" are getting confused. I am trying to just render the sequence in the project so I can edit further, not export it.

Hopefully this is enough information to help... But if questions are asked to help prod the problem a bit, I'm sure those would assist me as well.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
Re: Speeding Up Rendering with Dynamic Link
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:11:51 pm

Not the specific answer you want, but personally i render out the files directly from After Effects in the CineForm codec and import them to Premiere Pro and place them on the timeline/s. If i need to change the VFX i use the Edit Original command in Premiere Pro to open it up in After Effects to do the changes.

Yes, it is faster than Dynamic Link since i never need to render the timeline. After Effects export faster than Premiere Pro. I save time by not using Dynamic Link. I wish i had a better answer. :)

Return to posts index

Aidan Collett
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:15:17 pm

Even though it isn't using a dynamic link, the VFX can still be changed without having to be re-exported?

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:20:18 pm

No, they would have to be re-exported. But, After Effects is faster and if you use Dynamic Link you still have to re-render the timeline when editing.

When using Edit Original in Premiere Pro After Effects open the correct project and composition and it is added automatically to the Render Queue using the same settings you used the first time. Very easy and convinient. :)

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:14:40 pm

Others may argue differently but I would advocate that you abandon the dynamic linking altogether and export files from Aftereffects that will be imported into Premiere.

Unfortunately, there remains too many problems with dynamic linking to be able to rely on it in a regular workflow.

This should also alleviate the slow rendering.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Aidan Collett
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:16:27 pm

I have dialogue with the clips I am using VFX for... I guess I will have to figure out a way to resync it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 30, 2018 at 6:30:42 pm

[Aidan Collett] "I have dialogue with the clips I am using VFX for... I guess I will have to figure out a way to resync it."

Oh, it's not that tough to do. Dynamic Link isn't a very robust feature in the first place.
I use DL to get PP stuff into AE, and then I render out of AE.

Long story short -- Adobe may lead you to believe DL works two way, and that Essential Graphics is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but don't you believe Adobe's Marketing Weasels!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:22:07 pm

I agree with Jeff.

Return to posts index

Aidan Collett
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:32:30 pm

Should I go ahead and use media encoder to export the clips?

Also... is cineform recommended for this?

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:54:09 pm

Personally i prefer to use the Render Queue inside After Effects. After Effects exports through Media Encoder relies on Dynamic Link so it´s more individual steps and sometime looong waiting times if you want to change a export setting. I use the CineForm codec.

If using After Effects, select the composition/s and go to File > Export > Add to Render Queue or simply press Ctrl+M.

If using Media Encoder, use File > Add After Effects Composition from within Media Encoder. (Avoid File > Export > Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue in After Effects since it creates new project files for each export and After Effects don´t remove them. Clutter on the HDD...)

Try both options and see wich one is best for you.

Return to posts index

Aidan Collett
on Jul 30, 2018 at 6:31:05 pm

Thank you so much!

Is it safe now to delete the linked comps from my Premiere project?

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Jul 30, 2018 at 6:49:19 pm

Yes it is safe to delete them from Premiere Pro if you have rendered them to CineForm through After Effects and replaced the comps on the timeline/s. If you change your mind you can always re-import them again.

As a bonus your Premiere Pro project will open much faster when the Dynamic Link comps are deleted.

Return to posts index

Cameron Warn
on Jul 31, 2018 at 12:16:32 am

Not sure if this would work for you, but have you tried the 'render and replace' option for dynamic linked clips in Premiere Pro?

There's a render time involved converting the AE comp to clips, but once done they'll play nice in your sequence as are now actual media clips. If you need to adjust something, you then use the 'restore unrendered' option to change the clip back to the AE linked comp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]