FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to get it right - Sequence Settings

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Faughn
Trying to get it right - Sequence Settings
on Jul 27, 2018 at 1:16:04 am

Hello,

I have used Adobe Premiere here and there in the past. I am using it to edit a series of corporate videos for the company I work for that will be used for their website.

I don't know nearly enough about sequence settings and always run into hiccups during or toward the end of editing. I was hoping if I provide enough information someone could recommend the best settings to:

-avoid export errors
-avoid render errors (already getting the 'Error Compiling Movie, Unknown Error' when trying to render anything)
-avoid or minimize timeline playback lag (also already happening)

Just make the whole process smoother. Tell me what you need (and how I find it). I've provided any information I thought might be needed below.

Footage is shot on a Sony A7R2 camera using both 35mm and 50 mm lenses.

Using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Toshiba Laptop running Windows 10
Processor- Intel Core i7 5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40
Installed Memory- 12.0 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor

Thank you in advance!

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Amanda Faughn
Freelance Video Editor
MandaRemastered@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Trying to get it right - Sequence Settings
on Jul 27, 2018 at 3:15:21 pm

Hi Amanda,

Are you shooting HD or 4K? Premiere CS6 is not going to do very well with 4K video, and a Core i5 computer is also not up to par for 4K. Shoot and edit as HD if you can. If you don't need slow motion for anything, 1080p30 may be a good choice to shoot, edit, and deliver.

As for setting up a proper sequence, that is easy: in a New Project, when you drag the first video clip to an empty timeline, Premiere will ask if you want to match the timeline to the clip (if it does not match already). Say Yes. Or just right-click your video clip in the Project Bin and select New Sequence from Clip. This will assure you of having a correctly matching sequence to being editing with.

Then export to match source, meaning if you shot and edited as 1080p30 (29.97 actually), then export the same. For instance select the H.264 export format, and the YouTube HD 1080p preset.

When setting up the Export, check to verify that SOURCE and OUTPUT settings match. Checking frame size, pixel aspect, fields, and frame rate.

In this case:
  • 1920x1080
  • 1.0 Pixel Aspect
  • Progressive

You will see that these 4 parameters match in both the Source and Output summaries. If anything differs, such as frame rate or aspect, that is when you run into quality issues with the exported video. Should all match, unless of course you specifically want to convert an HD source to 720p or SD video, so frame size and pixel aspect might change but you'd want to keep the same frame rate all the way.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Amanda Faughn
on Jul 28, 2018 at 9:11:08 pm

Jeff,

This is super helpful, thank you so much. I will try this.

Amanda Faughn
Freelance Video Editor

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 28, 2018 at 7:20:54 pm

If you are trying to edit 4K you need to upgrade your software and computer.
Both are underpowered.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Amanda Faughn
on Jul 28, 2018 at 9:09:28 pm

Damn, I figured as much.

I don't really have the option to change my equipment as the laptop is provided by the company I work for. I could change the camera format to a lower resolution, couldn't I?

Or maybe edit using proxy footage? Would that work? (I'm not too familiar with how this works but I've read a bit about it).

Amanda Faughn
Freelance Video Editor

Return to posts index

Amanda Faughn
on Jul 29, 2018 at 1:05:56 pm

Ann,

Could you be more specific? I'm on a work provided computer. If I know what it'll take to be able to get this thing up to speed I might be able to get them to do it for me. Thanks for your input.

Amanda Faughn
Freelance Video Editor

Return to posts index

John Vlach
on Aug 5, 2018 at 1:01:33 am

Hi Amanda,

I've experienced the 'Error Compiling Movie, Unknown Error' issue before. What helped me is to click "Queue" at the bottom of the Export Settings dialog box to render it in Adobe Media Encoder.

Not sure why it makes a difference, but it did for me. Hopefully, this works for you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]