FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to put proxy files, same place as original footage?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince-Patrick Mitchell
Where to put proxy files, same place as original footage?
on Jul 25, 2018 at 4:03:22 pm

Subject says it all. What would the ideal place for the proxy files to go? Same hard drive as the original footage? Would it impact performance if one would place proxy files elsewhere than original footage?

Reason im asking is that my SSD wont be able to accomodate both.

Thanks in advance!

VP

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Where to put proxy files, same place as original footage?
on Jul 25, 2018 at 6:30:53 pm

[Vince-Patrick Mitchell] "What would the ideal place for the proxy files to go? Same hard drive as the original footage?"

Ideally you should have your original footage archived on a separate drive than the media you are cutting with. If you lose the hard drive, if it dies, then you lose EVERYTHING. So first, have a separate hard drive for the camera masters. Have two copies of this...redundant backup.

THEN...if you want to switch from offline to online via a toggle, you can have one of those connected while you also have your proxies on a media drive. OR...you can copy those camera masters to your editing drive (third copy) and make the proxies as well, so you can toggle on the fly easily. I personally prefer that they be separate from the camera masters...in a single folder. Not buried inside the duplicate camera masters and hard to find...although that is the default location for them...oddly.

[Vince-Patrick Mitchell] "Would it impact performance if one would place proxy files elsewhere than original footage? "

Nope. Might be better...less media on that drive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]