FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Mac should I buy for editing in 4k on Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack wormell
Which Mac should I buy for editing in 4k on Premiere
on Jul 25, 2018 at 3:47:22 pm

Hello

I'm looking for people's personal opinions about buying a new Mac. I'm a video editor and generally work on a Macbook Pro, but when it comes to editing a sequence of 4K material it's very laggy and I find it impeding. Often I don't get the time to make Proxies, so I'm looking to buy an iMac. If I did get one it would be the top one of the new range -

4.2 GHz Processor
2TB Storage
32Gb RAM
Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
2 TB SSD

Now I know that Final Cut Pro is much better at 4K on a Mac, and I will probably buy this anyway, but some work comes to me already set up in Premiere, so I don't have a choice but to use it.

I know 4K comes in different flavours and codecs, generally I seem to be editing .movs from GH5, as well footage from the Sony FS7.

Is this iMac the preferable option (other than an iMac Pro), what about the new Macbook Pro's? What about the Mac Pro (although that seems a bit old now)?

Thanks for any advice/opinion anyone has on this.

Jack

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Which Mac should I buy for editing in 4k on Premiere
on Jul 25, 2018 at 6:34:14 pm

Cutting those formats native...will require a LOT of oomph...as they are highly compressed formats. So you'll need a top of the line iMac, with the best GPU you can get, or get an eGPU to help with the load. The one you list will be decent. And I hope this is a short form project, the longer the project, especially with complex media...the more it bogs the system down.

Or get the best iMacPro you can afford. Avoid the MacPro tubes...they are 5 years old, outdated, and less powerful than the iMac.

I would suggest using the PROXY workflow with Premiere...so you can cut with easier to deal with media, and relink to the masters with the click of one button. You can have it make proxies overnight while you are asleep.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 25, 2018 at 8:14:12 pm

iMac Pro all the way. We have the 8 core with 64 gig RAM and the better video card. Get a very fast raid in the 500MB+ per second and you'll be cutting with ease.

Except you'll be using Adobe's buggy software, which is another matter...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

jack wormell
on Jul 27, 2018 at 12:11:00 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm currently using a Macbook Pro from early 2015. Do you think if I bought the newest one it would have a significant difference? I expect not.

THanks

Jack

Return to posts index

James Palugod
on Aug 5, 2018 at 9:54:00 pm

Hi,

Was going to post this as a new thread but seems relevant to this thread so posting as a reply here -

- - -
Just purchased a new Macbook Pro (specs below) to edit 4k footage on, as my old 2014 Macbook Pro is not able to keep up.

Macbook Pro 15" 2018

2.9 GHz Intel Core i9

32 GB Ram

Radeon Pro 560x 4096MB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Sadly the 2018 Macbook is not handling the 4k footage much better than my old Macbook. I am working with Sony FS7 .mxf files and A7S .mp4 files. Files are on an external SSD. I have tried optimizing Premiere according to recommendations from online articles/videos. I have updated to the latest version of Premiere, 12.1.2 and have adjusted the resolution in the program monitor to 1/4 and 1/8. Still playback of video/audio is choppy, laggy, stutters, drops out. Reviews online seem to indicate that the new Macbooks should handle 4k footage relatively well. My SSD is a USB 3.0 that I have connected to the Macbook using Apple's USB-C to USB A connector and System Report shows a 3.0 connection with 5GB/sec speed.

My work often requires immediate turnaround so there usually isn't time to create proxies. I could adjust workflow to make sure all cameras are recording in ProRes codecs if that solves the issue but just wanted to see what others' experience has been.

Thanks,

James

James Palugod
Producer, Shooter, Editor
http://www.pressurecreative.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 6, 2018 at 3:22:34 pm

[James Palugod] "A7S .mp4 files. "

You'll need to convert the H264 files to an edit friendly codec like pro res. H264 is too CPU intensive to allow for smooth editing.

[James Palugod] "My SSD is a USB 3.0 that I have connected to the Macbook using Apple's USB-C to USB A connector and System Report shows a 3.0 connection with 5GB/sec speed."

USB 3.0 is not fast enough for 4k media. Purchase a USB-C drive like a Samsung T5 and you'll then have greatly improved data thruput.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 6, 2018 at 4:30:58 pm

I find Premiere to be very slow with Sony 4K files from their FS cameras, FCPX is much faster on my 2013 MBP with them.

I expected this to be fixed a while ago but from what I've heard it hasn't!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 8, 2018 at 12:15:38 pm

[Shane Ross] "Or get the best iMacPro you can afford. Avoid the MacPro tubes...they are 5 years old, outdated, and less powerful than the iMac."

If you can find a decent priced one why not use the nMP?
I live an breath on a D700 w64GB.
Cut 4K like I used to cut D1 NTSC on Media100.
Since a lot of us are waiting for the "possible" update, why not take advantage of a used nMP at a fraction with what an iMac Pro costs.
Just to add, I was cutting RED RAW 4K on a 2008 UniMBP for years.
Finally died on me and have no desire to buy another one.
I was also doing a ton of GH4 4K as well as Sony A7IIs 4K shorts/music videos.
Honestly, you have a lot of options when you're just dealing with 4K.
Currently working with RED RAW 5K - 8K on my nMP but that you will need serious RAID to work.

Return to posts index

jack wormell
on Aug 8, 2018 at 9:52:31 pm

Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply. What's an nMP?

Jack

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 8, 2018 at 10:05:43 pm

nMP is new Mac Pro, which is the 2013 Cylinder Mac Pro.

I would never buy that in 2018. Get a new iMac (or get a Win 10 PC with an NVidia GTX-1080ti card).
Those AMD D700 cards in the nMP's all develop problems. It was a terrible design.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2018 at 12:26:30 am

The nMP was last updated like 3 years ago...so it's 3 years old, but still full priced. An iMac Pro is a far better deal, and more powerful. But I do know more than a few people using a regular 5K iMac to cut 4K on Premiere...just fine. Personally, I built a hackintosh...but that takes time and patience.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]