FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAW vs Transcodes in Adobe Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie Elbin
RAW vs Transcodes in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Jul 23, 2018 at 8:15:25 pm

Curious as to the majority's response on whether to use either the RAW or instead transcoded footage (with same fps as RAW) in Premiere Pro. Want to avoid problems when finishing and am warned that there may be an interlace or other hidden issue. Comments?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: RAW vs Transcodes in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Jul 23, 2018 at 9:00:55 pm

Which camera?
What format?
What sort of interlace issues?
What is your output format?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Debbie Elbin
on Jul 25, 2018 at 9:16:35 am

Always Sony cameras but with different fps.
I've not had interlace issues but am curious if others have had problems going from the transcodes back to the RAW for final edits.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 25, 2018 at 12:29:35 pm

Whether or not to use raw or transcoded depends on a number of factors - mainly how good the original lighting was and how comfortable you are with color correction. If your raw footage was transcoded to a high-quality codec with a low contrast look (highlights and shadows protected), then you'll likely see very little difference between the two images.

Performance will be the big drawback to raw. I haven't worked with any Sony raw in Premiere, so I presume you already know whether or not Premiere supports the codec. My experience is with RED and that's a reasonably simple workflow. You can import native files, and then create Premiere proxy files for editing. Then toggle back to the originals for color correction and export.

As far as interlaced issues, as long as you are working in a progressive format and not NTSC, PAL, or 1080i, you should be fine. Even in those, you would be fine, but operator errors can occur.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Jul 26, 2018 at 3:35:47 am

Yes the quality of the transcoding comes into play. However, there is lossless transcoding out there, where you wouldn't loose any information.

Transcoding is generally faster to work with, but that's because there is a reduced amount of information going to and from the drive. Lossless files are bigger than lossy, but they can cut the file size down to roughly half, or even further, lightening the load. Depending on the cam though, the data may already be installed ins some kind of lossless format. However, there is still performance benefits gain from transcoding to a format that your NLE (Premiere) is optimised for.

Even if it is lossy, it will still be better playback for editing purposes. Then you could relink your cuts with the original RAW footage before going to colorgrade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]