FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bang & Olufsen headphones for video editing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Natasha Khiara
Bang & Olufsen headphones for video editing
on Jul 20, 2018 at 10:17:54 am

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones and I see a lot of recommendations and I was just wondering if Bang & Olufsen are known for great sound quality, how come no one suggests it for video editors? Is it a budget restriction or am I missing something obvious here?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Bang & Olufsen headphones for video editing
on Jul 20, 2018 at 12:59:04 pm

It really doesn't matter what headphones you use though I wouldn't use bluetooth ones because of possible audio/video sync issues.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 20, 2018 at 3:03:04 pm

the more drivers, the better. some headphones have tweeters called a 2-way.
reason being, a single driver can't play all freqs at the same time with zero distortion, creates a muffling power loss effect.

having a more flat response curve is ideal +-3db across the range, although you can tweak it with a 20 band to flatten out anyway.

so it all comes down really to three things, how many drivers, freq range, and how much distortion after flattening the response curve. this is sometimes listed as ohms or higher impedance for better bass driving. you usually get what you pay for with speakers/headphones.

Return to posts index

Natasha Khiara
on Jul 21, 2018 at 6:33:03 am

Thanks Chris, this was really helpful!

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
on Jul 20, 2018 at 3:27:32 pm

I've worked on a ton of network and cable shows and supervised more mixing sessions than I can remember.

If you can use speakers, they are much better than head phones for high end audio mixes. The basic reason is that 99% of TV viewers will listen to your audio on speakers, sitting at least 3 feet away from the source. So it's best to do the mix as close to the same listening environment as your audience.

Try a pair of Genelec's ! They ain't cheap, but the sound is beyond amazing.

E

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 20, 2018 at 7:50:01 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jul 20, 2018 at 10:55:04 pm

this only works if your room is acoustically built for high, low freqs, reverb and echo; otherwise headphones are better.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 21, 2018 at 12:25:05 am

[Eric Merklein] "If you can use speakers, they are much better than head phones for high end audio mixes."

I get your point about viewers not wearing headphones. So true.

But since the lady is asking about new headphones, she is apparently used to editing while wearing them and I presume no one has any gripes about quality of her sound work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Natasha Khiara
on Jul 21, 2018 at 6:31:39 am

Hey Eric,

Thanks so much for your response!
My audience is actually going to hear everything on headphones so it makes more sense for me to use them as well.
Apart from that, where I edit is not quite built for speaker use, ergo I am unable to do so.

P.S. You're right, Genelec's are amazing!

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
on Jul 22, 2018 at 9:22:20 pm

Smart move then. You know do know what you'e doing ☺

Return to posts index

Ben Shoemaker
on Jul 21, 2018 at 2:30:34 am

B&O makes great audio equipment but I've never heard their name come up in headphone comparisons. Typically it's going to be Sennheiser, Bowers and Wilkins, AudioQuest, and HiFi Man.

What are you editing? What is driving the headphones(laptop, audio mixer, dedicated headphone DAC and amp)? What is your editing area like? Is it soundproof or are you dealing with background noise that you need to block out?

I prefer closed back headphones for editing. They let me concentrate and catch any little annoying sounds that need to be filtered out. The Sony MDR-7506 headphones have closed backs, they are bulletproof, sound great, and are under $100.

For critical listening, I have a set of Sennheiser HD 600 headphones with a dedicated DAC and headphone amplifier. But they are open back so I have to be careful about background noise negating the benefits of a better headphone.

If you currently don't have any headphones, give the Sony set a try first. Also, don't buy the most expensive headphones either thinking they will be better just because of the price.

Also, if you go to an audio store to test some out, bring something that you've listened to 1,000 times before. Don't just listen to whatever demo that they have playing.

I hope that helps.

- Current computer guy - Former Technical Director - Wannabe TV Broadcast Engineer -

Return to posts index

Melvin Chong
on Jul 22, 2018 at 10:24:58 am

Audio Technica ATH M50. Cheap and good.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Professional-Headphones-Certified-Ref...

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 25, 2018 at 8:39:16 pm

This is all about fit since you will be wearing them a lot. Higher end Sony, Beyerdynamic, Shure, AKG and B&O (I have their turntable) would be fine....I even love my Grado's! But fit is going to be everything. My kids don't wear my Grados because they don't like the fit, but I can wear them all day.

Do you have piercings that could hurt with certain headphones? the B&Os I have seen are narrower and don't fit over the entire ear, where sony and Beyer full cup do.

I would recommend going to Best Buy Magnolia store and trying on a bunch.....you'll find the perfect pair!

Then order them from B&H. (purposefully snarky remark...)

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]