FORUMS: list search recent posts

Denoiser III issue in Premier Pro CC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mahmoud Salimi
Denoiser III issue in Premier Pro CC
on Jul 16, 2018 at 7:42:45 pm

I have been working on a feature film color grading it in Premier Pro cc using its color lumetri feature. The footage is 4K and it is filmed with RED Scarlet camera. A good amount of the footage has the noise problem. I have used denoiser III to address the issue, but have run into many other issues such as picture noise and noise artifacts. It generates horizontal blue and/or orange lines every few frames. In some cases, it creates small and big white squares. Also, it takes 3-4 days to render a 2-hour sequence.

I have tried different orders for the applied effects (i. e., denoiser first in the hierarchy then followed by the lumetri color and other effects). In a separate sequence, I applied the denoiser III to an adjustment layer and placed on top of the footage. The problem still continues to exist. When exporting the sequence, I have used various codec options (Apple Proress 4444, 422HQ, 422, 422LT, Gocine Pro, H.264, DNxHD) in .mov and mp4 formats. I also have tried the Rewrap and Use Sequence Settings options in the export settings window. Nothing has worked so far.

I appreciate any suggestions and advice. Here are my computer and software specs.

Software:
Adobe Premiere Pro cc 2017/2018 (I have tried both versions)
Denoiser III

Computer: Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Processor: 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
RAM: 64GB 1866 MGz DDR3
Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

Salimi

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Denoiser III issue in Premier Pro CC
on Jul 16, 2018 at 8:29:51 pm

Quite simply, you will get best results if you denoise the clips that need it prior to doing any editing. Meaning, apply ONLY the denoiser to the clips, then export using a good intermediate codec like ProRes on Mac, or DNxHD or GoPro Cineform on PC. Now you have a quality source clip that is denoised. Use that new clip to edit and apply your effects to, rather than trying to layer it all together at once.

Denoising takes a LONG time, then if you add the other effects to it, render time increases exponentially in combinations. Faster to do in multiple passes than all at once, and editing is much more responsive without DN applied in Premiere.

Has worked great for me over the years to do it that way. Yes, there is that initial delay to starting the editing process to pre-process the denoising first, but your life will be much more pleasant after that step is done, I promise that.

There have been times when I actually did the Premiere edit first, then denoised original clip in After Effects later when I had time to let that denoiser run overnight, then in Premiere did a REPLACE to swap in the new, denoised clip to replace original source clip without affecting the existing edits! Note this is on wedding ceremonies, so perhaps just two long clips for ceremony, not dozens of clips to deal with. If you attempt the "after the edit" method, do so with a COPY of the Premiere project so you don't destroy all your work accidentally when trying to replace clips!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 17, 2018 at 8:22:13 pm

If you have access to DaVinci Resolve Studio (the $299 version, not the free version) the built in noise reduction is excellent. If you are not comfortable grading in Resolve, you could de-noise your master clips, then grade them in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Mahmoud Salimi
on Jul 20, 2018 at 12:49:18 am

Thank you John. I do not have Davinci. I had to buy neat video to get the work done. Magic Bullet denoiser and premier pro do not go together. They make one go through hell. Even their experts couldn't help.

Return to posts index

Mahmoud Salimi
on Jul 20, 2018 at 12:57:07 am

Jeff,
Thank you for the advice. I tried your suggestions. Still got some noise issues. I denoised the footage, exported it Prores4444 (and 422HQ), then color graded it. When exported a copy (H264 and prores422), it still had some artifacts that I mentioned in my post. It looks like the premier pro has bugs. I had to buy the neat video to get the work done. So far it has done a great job. Just a couple of shots showed an artifact. Still working it.

Let me ask you a question. What are the best settings to export a 4K DCP that is under 10GB? The festivals ask for the maximum 10GB file.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 20, 2018 at 1:40:55 pm

Sorry I have no experience with creating DCP files. I also use Neat Video Denoiser, nice results. Used to use Red Giant before.

Jeff

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]