FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Trimmed Sony sLOG3 Clips with new audio for grading in AE

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toyama Tokanava
Export Trimmed Sony sLOG3 Clips with new audio for grading in AE
on Jul 14, 2018 at 11:35:12 am

Hello World, Please help ☺

I have lots of very long interview Clips shot in slog3 profile on the Sony a7sII in 4K

I have to shortened the clip the to the parts that I need & replaced the Audio (external recorder + audition). in PR.
The rest will be done in AE. (The sLog grading, FX, etc...) I will not return to Premiere.

The question:

1. How do I export the clip without recompressing it again but with new audio.
I Imagine it to be like in QT7 where you just replaced the audio track and the video clip remained untouched.
What is the native sequence settings ? What codec ist that ? I didn't find the right one.
PR always wants to convert in Animation, ProRez, etc.. and that also takes a long time in 4K

2. If I do have to convert.. what is the best codec/setting that keeps all my sLog information for grading in AE?
(that is also important to know as I might use the morph-cut transition on some clips that does not exist in AE)

as you see I have little knowledge on slog and how it should be saved too keep the data that I need for grading.
i imagine it to me like RAW in photoshop. If I convert to the wrong format I will loose the grading advantages.

__

to keep the reading time short here I'm not explaining why but..
I don't want to import the originals to AE and trim/sync there.
Also I want to keep the new files and erase the unnecessary footage.

thank you too much.
ah .. and it's urgent unfortunately.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Export Trimmed Sony sLOG3 Clips with new audio for grading in AE
on Jul 14, 2018 at 5:37:49 pm

Your workflow approach is problematic. AE is not an editing program. The weakest aspect of AE is audio and if you're editing interview clips you'll be dealing with a lot of audio.

A more streamlined flow:

Do all of your editing in Premiere with your original media. When you have a finished and approved final version, you can either make use of dynamic linking to do the grading in AE or you can simply open your Premiere timeline in AE. All audio editing should be done in Premiere.

There's a lot of grading options inside of Premiere and so if there's a quick turnaround time, I'd recommend that you stay in Premiere. You also could export an XML and do the grading in Resolve.

Also, your Sony files are MXF which is a wrapper that Premiere has problems with media managing. If you're committed to creating shortened files, you'll need to transcode to pro-res or DNxHD.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Toyama Tokanava
on Jul 14, 2018 at 6:07:10 pm

Thank you ! Sorry I did not make it clear before.
Thats what I was planing to do. review/edit/shorten/add final sound in premiere (but not grade).
That will not be a classical interview. It's an art project.
I will to tons of stuff in AE that PR can not do. So premiere is no help after some point.
but to import a PR timeline in AE is an interesting approach. Thanks I will try.
Also i will test DNxHD I have only user ProRez before.

MXF ? The file extension is .mp4 and the info says AVC Coding

Thank you.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jul 14, 2018 at 7:17:47 pm

If your originating files are H264 make sure you convert them to an edit friendly codec before starting your project. Either Pro res or DNxHD will work. H264 is CPU intensive and so your overall work efficiency will drop considerably if you don't convert them.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]