FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to remove interlacing lines from imported old footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grace Grenier
How to remove interlacing lines from imported old footage
on Jul 12, 2018 at 2:49:09 pm

So I have some old footage from about 10 years ago that was shot on a DV camcorder at a 4/3 aspect ratio. The footage was exported to quicktime video and stored on a drive, and I don't have access to the original footage anymore. I recently uploaded the exported quicktime video into Premiere and noticed that it has some serious interlacing issues.

I tried importing the quicktime video into After Effects and interpreting the footage from 29.970 to 29.97 but that didn't work. There are striation lines all over this footage. Anything I can do to fix the interlacing?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: How to remove interlacing lines from imported old footage
on Jul 12, 2018 at 4:56:40 pm

Looking at CC 2017, if you right-click the footage in the timeline, you'll see "Field Options" on the context-sensitive menu.

From within there, you have the option of "reverse field dominance" (not your answer here), and option for no processing, always de-interlace, and flicker removal. You should experiment with these and see what gives you best results.

Ultimately it usually boils down to using only one field (lower resolution) or combining both fields (reduced frame rate.).

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 12, 2018 at 5:38:03 pm

Is the footage truly interlaced? Meaning, is it, in fact, 29.97 with two fields of video? If you played this in an interlaced project out to a monitor, would you see smooth playback, and no lines...

OR...is this interlacing "baked in?" Meaning, it was shot interlaced, but captured improperly so parts of both fields are there, and you see the jaggy lines. OR...exported improperly with the jaggy lines?

I deal with all sorts of archival footage, and TOO MANY PLACES will capture improperly, export improperly, so this footage they are trying to sell will have that horrid look baked in...and they shrug when it's pointed out. So I either don't buy it, or if it's rare and needed, buy it but explain to the network that it's rare, and can't be fixed. If it's baked in, you can't fix it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Grace Grenier
on Jul 12, 2018 at 7:11:42 pm

Field Options Flicker Removal worked! Smoothed out the lines quite nicely, great suggestion Jon.

Shane, I assumed the lines were baked in, as I'm pretty sure the footage was captured properly but exported improperly (nobody paid attention to how footage was archived back in the day), but applying Flicker Removal did the trick, so I'm happy. I'm definitely using this for all the other archival footage I'll be needing to rework in the future!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]