FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a NTSC file from a PAL timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jörn Wilting
Exporting a NTSC file from a PAL timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Jul 11, 2018 at 1:33:44 pm

Hey guys,

this problem might have been popped up for many of us editors already but I wasn't able to find a decent and satisfying answer yet. So if there was already a solution please excuse me for creating a new thread and share with me how to solve it.

Well, here is my issue: One of our clients wants a TV spot we shot and produced entirely in PAL (for the European market) to be shown in Mexico. Therefore, we obviously need to create a NTSC file that can be aired on Mexican TV.

I did do an export (MXF OP1a in XDCAM HD 50 NTSC 60i) from the original PAL timeline in Premiere Pro. I did watch it back and it looks decent (maybe a bit less sharp as the original). Also, the file is one frame shorter than the original (19:29 seconds instead of 20:00 seconds in PAL). I am not experiencing any detectable audio issues (it's only a voice over and music/sound effects).

I was wondering if what I am seeing is misleading and there will be issues with the exported file once it is shown on TV. Secondly, and maybe even more importantly, does anyone here have a "rock-solid" way of getting this conversion done with the best possible quality (and secure)? Could you advise any software that helps or is everyone simply exporting it like I did?

Sorry if this question might sound stupid, but to be honest so far I was lucky to never having to deal with this PAL/NTSC conversion hassle before. So I just really want to be sure and ask people who already do have experience with it.

Looking forward to your suggestions and thanks already for all the support. Highly appreciate it.

Thumbs up and high fives from Germany...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exporting a NTSC file from a PAL timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Jul 11, 2018 at 6:03:34 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 11, 2018 at 6:03:48 pm

There's a never-fail, sure-fire way to do this, preserving all the PAL program's image quality -- but it is in no way cheap. Think thousands of Euros.

Still want to hear about it?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Exporting a NTSC file from a PAL timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Jul 11, 2018 at 7:35:04 pm

25 doesn’t divide into 29.97 evenly, so I wouldn’t be too concerned about the 1 frame discrepancy. This export method does not speed up or slow down your program.

The best conversions are usually done via a hardware standards converter (this usually involves going to tape). This can be somewhat expensive. High end conversion hardware (such as an Alchemist) are pricey and facilities that have them charge accordingly.

For some types of material, you may want to try exporting your completed program to a high quality codec like Pro Res, GoPro Cineform or Avid DNX in PAL. Then take that file and convert it to NTSC, rather than do it directly from the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]