FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing view aspect ratio is different than sequence settings/exported video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Stice
Editing view aspect ratio is different than sequence settings/exported video
on Jul 8, 2018 at 11:10:37 pm

I’ll try to explain this the best I can. I set up my sequence to be 1920 x 1080, which should be a 16 by 9 aspect ratio. As I was editing, I noticed that some of my 1920 x 1080 clips weren’t fitting correctly into the editing view. They were letter boxed. The editing view seemed to have an aspect ratio of about 15 by 9 I’d say. I checked my sequence settings, and they were still 1920 x 1080. This was my first time using Premiere, so I didn’t really know if it was supposed to be doing this or not. Some of my 1920 x 1080 videos also fit the editing view normally. When I exported my video, I noticed that the whole video was pillar boxed. The 1920 x 1080 videos that fit the editing screen were actually stretched to do so, so they were now pillar boxed on the exported 16 by 9 video. Does anyone know why Premiere is doing this and if there’s a way to fix it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Editing view aspect ratio is different than sequence settings/exported video
on Jul 9, 2018 at 1:30:59 am

It sounds like a case of non-square pixels. Perhaps it a shot in 1440x1080, which is uncommon, but not unknown. Scale the footage horizontally by 150%. It will fill the screen and the subjects won't look like they've been squished horizontally.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Evan Stice
Re: Editing view aspect ratio is different than sequence settings/exported video
on Jul 9, 2018 at 3:16:50 am

What are non square pixels exactly?

I should also note that the editing screen had the wrong aspect ratio when the playhead was over a clip that had a yellow bar over it on the timeline. A couple clips had a green bar over them when placed in the timeline, and when the playhead was over them the editing screen would go back to 16:9, but the clip looked stretched

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 9, 2018 at 3:44:31 pm

A square pixel is just that - square - height and width are the same. In your Sequence Settings, check what the Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) is set to, should be 1.0 for square pixels, which is what most 720p and 1080p video formats will be using.

1920x1080 only creates an image with 16:9 aspect ratio when pixels are square. If the pixels are rectangular, that will throw off the dimensions.

Remember HDV video, from tape? That actually recorded video at 1440x1080 resolution, however the PAR was 1.333 meaning the pixels were rectangular - wider than tall. The wider pixels made up the difference to still create a 16:9 output. Check out this math: 1440 x 1.333 = 1920. It's like magic.

So you may have some sort of mismatch going on. Either the footage has an issue (or is being incorrectly interpreted by Premiere for some reason) or the Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) in Sequence is not correct.

There was a Panasonic HD format that recorded at 1280x1080, using 1.5 PAR, which would still provide 1920x1080 playback (1280 x 1.5 = 1920). Formats like this are called "thin raster" - skimping out on some scan lines! True 1920x1080 video is "Full Raster" HD, no skipped lines.

Thanks

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 9, 2018 at 3:57:55 pm

If you can please post a screen grab of the Export Settings panel, that can be quite helpful, as that will show both the Sequence (Source) and Export settings next to one another for checking/comparison of settings used.

I mentioned HDV clips earlier, at the 1440x1080 size with 1.333 PAR, but I should note that if you drag such a clip into a 1920x1080 (1.0) sequence, it WILL fill the screen with no black bars since Premiere is intelligent enough to figure out what's going on. So if your clips are still having black bars, the PAR of the clip is possibly misrepresented in the video file itself and if that's the case, you can right-click the clip in Project Bin and use Modify > Interpret and actually set the PAR manually to get better result if needed. Or again, maybe the PAR is wrong in the Sequence.

Make sure the Program window sizing is set to FIT, otherwise that can sometime mess up the display.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Evan Stice
on Jul 9, 2018 at 10:41:08 pm

I would but I actually don’t have access to the computer I was editing on anymore :(. I will try your advice next time though if I have the same issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]