FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.9fps to 25fps without duplicate frames

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Smith
23.9fps to 25fps without duplicate frames
on Jun 28, 2018 at 11:49:58 am

Hi all,

I'm a dubbing mixer currently working on a feature that's almost complete. It's just come back from QC but has failed because of duplicate frames in some scenes that have occurred when some of the footage was converted from 23.9 to 25. You might have to be a bit patient with me because I'm not a video editor but am trying to work out the easiest solution for the editor and myself so I'll try to be succinct.

The film has been edited at 25 fps. There was some footage that was shot at 23.98 fps. That footage was converted to 25 fps but there's occasional duplicate frames. We've now got to reconvert the original 23.98 footage using another method so it avoids the duplicate frames (any tips and recommendations welcome).
My main concern is whether the shot lengths will change.

So, I'll try to break it down to simplify.

1) Converted footage from 23.98 to 25. Duplicate frames were added.

2) It needs to be converted again from 23.98 to 25 but without duplicate frames.

3) Will the newly converted 25fps (without duplicate frames) footage match in length the originally converted 25fps (with duplicate frames) footage?

Note; this isn't a pull up or pull down of an entire audio mix or converting the entire film to a different frame rate. It's just converting some shots here and there, and wanting to know if the shot lengths will change.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 23.9fps to 25fps without duplicate frames
on Jun 28, 2018 at 6:45:03 pm

Any Lip-sync sound involved in the 23.976 clips? That's a big consideration.

FYI -- the actual frame rate is 23.976 frames / sec. 23.98 is just a nickname. Some editing applications use the nickname, some don't. Adobe applications don't -- they want to see 23.976. IT'S CONFUSING.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 28, 2018 at 7:25:03 pm

[Rick Smith] "1) Converted footage from 23.98 to 25. Duplicate frames were added. "

Yes...going from 24 to 25...and maintaining the same duration, will result in one repeated frame every second.

[Rick Smith] "2) It needs to be converted again from 23.98 to 25 but without duplicate frames.

3) Will the newly converted 25fps (without duplicate frames) footage match in length the originally converted 25fps (with duplicate frames) footage? "

No...it will not. To convert 24 to 25 without duplicate frames means slightly speeding it up...CONFORMING the 24 to play at 25. Doing this will make the clip longer by a couple frames, and will change the pitch of the audio, that will need to be adjusted. So yes, this will mean that those particular clips will have to start earlier, or end later, and audio will need to be remixed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 30, 2018 at 1:54:33 am

alchemist od framerate converter uses interpolation frames not speed change. most people just speed change. don't forget to maintain audio pitch if changing audio speed.

Return to posts index

Rick Smith
on Jun 30, 2018 at 2:39:11 am

Thanks all for your replies. Basically I did get it a bit confused. I thought that if a project was at 25 fps then anything imported would automatically be converted to that frame rate in Premiere...how wrong I was. So bits and pieces all over the place in the film have to be converted so I'm now in a living nightmare and going to have to move a hell of a lot of audio, plugin automation etc etc to fit a new video.

Should be a whole load of fun.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]