FORUMS: list search recent posts

PPCS6 track matte key scale wrong >:(

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david furst
PPCS6 track matte key scale wrong >:(
on Jun 27, 2018 at 10:21:50 pm

hello everyone,

i've been trying to figure this one out for hourrrrrs now, feel like i'm banging my head against a wall. EXTREMELY frustrated... hope someone can give me a clue.

i've created a black & white matte.
i've put the matte on video 2.
i have some source video i've placed on video 1.
i scale the source video to 40% of its normal size, the size i want it to be.
i apply a track matte effect to video 1, specifying video 2 as the matte, and choose source luma.

the source video is masked, but for some godforsaken reason, p.p. insists on resizing the source footage to its original size or changing the size of the track matte. >:( and when i try to scale it down again, it scales the track matte along with it. >:(((

i don't want the source video to be changed, i want it EXACTLY as i had it, and i want the mask to be left EXACTLY as i had it, so that EXACTLY the areas of the source footage i want are masked, not something else.

what am i doing wrong ???

thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: PPCS6 track matte key scale wrong >:(
on Jun 28, 2018 at 2:37:18 am

Well, duh! You scaled the video, Einstein!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david furst
on Jun 28, 2018 at 2:54:29 am

perhaps i wasn't clear.

the TRACK MATTE was at 100%.

the source video was scaled.

there is NO REASON IN HELL the source video should be scaled back UP if i've already scaled it down...

Return to posts index

david furst
on Jun 28, 2018 at 2:59:52 am

perhaps i wasn't clear.

the TRACK MATTE was at 100%.

the source video was scaled.

there is NO REASON IN HELL the source video should be scaled back UP if i've already scaled it down... doing so is counterintuitive and a stupid way of accomplishing things.

forgive me if i can't raise myself to your level of genius, but perhaps you could still enlighten me w/your years of experience, given i've only been working with this software since february...

posting a sarcastic comment to elevate yourself at my expense, rather than some helpful guidance, is sincerely not appreciated.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Jun 28, 2018 at 2:07:03 pm

yep...track matte key in Premiere is not very good. In the old Final Cut 7 you could place your matte where you want it and move and re-size your fill footage with ease. this is what i do...place your matte where you want it to be then nest it. put your footage below the matte nest then nest the footage. so you will have 2 nests now. open the footage nest and apply the matte nest above it. make the matte nest 50% transparent to act as a guide. re-size and move your footage to fill the transparent nest. when you get the footage the way you want it then disable the matte nest.
there you go...done the hard way.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Jun 28, 2018 at 2:12:12 pm

forgot to mention...you apply track matte key to the footage nest.
it was so much easier in FCP 7...but don't get me started...

Return to posts index

david furst
on Jun 29, 2018 at 1:30:25 am

it worked !!! 😃

thank you so much ! this was becoming a real headache.

i wonder why nesting would have that effect on things. or, rather, why not nesting would make compositing so painful...

i've heard good things about final cut, but i'm on pc so making the jump would take quite a bit of effort i think.

anyway, thanks much for your advice, that solved the problem. :)

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Jun 29, 2018 at 3:10:31 pm

nesting in final cut 7 was so easy....nesting in final cut X is a real pain. nesting in premiere is very painful.
the only reason i can think of is because of the structure of the software. and adobe probably doesn't want to spend time to fix it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]