FORUMS: list search recent posts

need to shrink time lapse video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Chilson
need to shrink time lapse video
on Jun 23, 2018 at 10:39:39 pm

I’m very new to Premiere pro. I made a mistake by filming instead of still shots and now I have about 50 hours of me working on this art piece and all of my files combined are like 100 gbs which is about half of my computer storage. Is there a way to shrink the files and save as a new and smaller file?or will the file stay the same size?

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: need to shrink time lapse video
on Jun 24, 2018 at 1:16:21 am

Storage is cheap, shrinking the files is a really bad idea.
Buy a 2 to 300 dollar hard drive and get more storage.

To make a major difference in size you'd have to compress them by at least 4 or 6:1 which is going to really degrade the Video Quality. This will be especially noticeable if you are going to pull stills from it.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 25, 2018 at 4:32:32 pm

Yup, I agree -- get more storage right away or put the project on hold until you can get more storage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 24, 2018 at 1:19:54 am

100GB is actually already very small for 50 hours of video.

50 hours of HD video captured in Apple Pro Res would be over 3TB.

I’d look into getting an inexpensive external drive. The footage is already very compressed. I wouldn’t reduce the quality any further, if at all possible.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jun 24, 2018 at 1:35:27 am

I think he may mean he's been working on it for 50 Hours not that there's 50 hours of footage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jun 27, 2018 at 2:24:03 pm

100 GB is tiny. You can buy a decent 4 TB external drive on Amazon for around $100. I'm assuming you shot on a GoPro or something comparable, in which case it is already very compressed. Don't reduce it further if you can avoid it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]