FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project Manager broken?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Project Manager broken?
on Jun 21, 2018 at 4:47:56 pm

Is the current version of Project Manager broken? I have tried to "consolidate and transcode" a few different jobs with multiple sequences in each. The B-roll clips are getting properly trimmed with handles, but raw interview clips are being copied in their entirety. This wasn't the case in previous versions of Premiere Pro. Thoughts?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Project Manager broken?
on Jun 21, 2018 at 5:52:09 pm

This seems to be only the Alexa Mini 4K/UHD clips. Both interviews and b-roll. Other formats consolidate/transcode with handles correctly. The Alexa clips are copied in full. No error message or prompt that it has to copy when this happens. This used to work correctly.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 22, 2018 at 4:29:05 am
Last Edited By John Pale on Jun 22, 2018 at 4:29:25 am

[Oliver Peters] "this wasn't the case in previous versions of Premiere Pro. Thoughts?"

Hahahahahaha!!!

You were just lucky, Oliver. Welcome to the house of horrors that is the Premiere Pro Project Manager. Trust me, this has been an ongoing issue for YEARS. As a 20 year Avid vet, its mind boggling that a basic function I can do with little effort on that platform becomes an all day affair in Premiere Pro.

Let me say something that may be helpful, now. 90% of the issues are audio related. Meaning, the audio channel layout in the files does not match what is in the Transcode/Consolidate preset. For instance, if you have two individual mono tracks in the file, but the preset is for Stereo, you get the whole file transcoded instead of a trimmed file. You may point out, that you have chosen "Match Source Pro Res 422" as your preset...but little did you know, that "Match Source" only applies to video. Project Manager is incapable of matching the source audio layout. This isn't the only scenario that can trip up Project Manager, but its a common one.

On some more complex sequences with a wide variety of sources, I have taken to exporting the audio as an OMF with trimmed handles. Then used project manager to trim the video only. I then used Audition to send the OMF'ed audio back into the Consolidated Project, where I marry it to the video. Its nuts, but it works.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jun 22, 2018 at 5:00:56 am

I agree with John. You've just been lucky Oliver. The Project manager needs a ton of improvement. mxf files also copy in their entirety and not just timeline selects. And yes, audio efx often trip it up too.

Perhaps this method will work better for you:

http://www.thepremierepro.com/blog-1/2016/1/4/hey-project-manager-whered-my...

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 22, 2018 at 12:14:48 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jun 22, 2018 at 12:24:06 pm

"Perhaps this method will work better for you:"

Thanks. I watched it and - unless I missed something - it doesn't seem like this method trims the files. Normally that would be fine. In the case of the project I was working with, I had several interview clips that ran 30-60 minutes each (in 4K, 2 cams). Naturally only a few soundbites were used from each. So I was trying to avoid keeping the full length clips (these are already archived separately should I ever need them). Oh well, more testing to do.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 22, 2018 at 12:14:28 pm

[John Pale] "Hahahahahaha!!!
You were just lucky, Oliver. Welcome to the house of horrors that is the Premiere Pro Project Manager. Trust me, this has been an ongoing issue for YEARS. As a 20 year Avid vet, its mind boggling that a basic function I can do with little effort on that platform becomes an all day affair in Premiere Pro. "

Oh thanks. Rub it in. ☺

I have had both good and bad experiences with PM, but it seems to have gotten worse. Lately I've used Resolve when I just wanted to preserve the trimmed media. But of course, it doesn't come back in completely clean.

Yes, Avid is way more solid, but that's primarily because media gets transcoded into an optimized, controlled format. Plus projects tend to be all of a single frame-rate. So it's easier for Avid to make it work. But I've had some scary moments there, too.

[John Pale] "On some more complex sequences with a wide variety of sources, I have taken to exporting the audio as an OMF with trimmed handles. Then used project manager to trim the video only. I then used Audition to send the OMF'ed audio back into the Consolidated Project, where I marry it to the video. Its nuts, but it works."

Hmm. Yesterday I did try a video-only sequence and still had the issue with the Alexa clips, in that they weren't being trimmed. I wonder if the issue is that these are Log-C files. Maybe PM has now developed an issue with these. In any case, I'll have to give that method a try again. Thanks.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 23, 2018 at 2:10:04 am

Oh yes...that’s another documented quirk. Anything with a source side LUT applied will not trim. Alexa files automatically get one.

If you can remove the source side LUTS, it should work. This is actually tricky to do, but possible

http://www.thepremierepro.com/blog-1/2015/9/2/amira-luts-and-project-bloat

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 23, 2018 at 3:29:27 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jun 23, 2018 at 3:29:58 pm

[John Pale] "Anything with a source side LUT applied will not trim"

Thanks. I swear that used to work :/

I have removed master clip LUTs before. We've had varying, intermittent problems with Alexa files and Premiere. Most of the time things work perfectly. But then on random projects, some clips in the timeline (but not all) lose the activation of their LUT. At that point the safest route is to strip out the master clip effects and re-apply the Log-C LUT in the Lumetri panel for those clips on the timeline. If you don't strip out the masterclips first, you'll run the risk of them becoming active again the next time you launch and then you'll end up with two instances of the LUT.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 23, 2018 at 7:51:14 pm

Master Clip effects would be so cool if they actually worked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]