FORUMS: list search recent posts

First PC Build for Premiere & Resolve

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Davis
First PC Build for Premiere & Resolve
on Jun 19, 2018 at 4:21:14 am

After years of loyal Mac use, I'm planning to build my first PC. I'm looking for 4K capability in Premiere CC and Resolve 15 and this is the hardware list I've come up with. Would love to know if anyone happens to foresee any issues with this combo of components or could suggest better options.

I've planned the build with the intention of being able to add more ram down the road, if needed, as well as additional 1080 TI's.

Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FqJv4q

Hard Drive Config:
240gb SSD - OS & Application Files
240gb SSD - Premiere Scratch
240gb SSD - Resolve Scratch

2tb SSD - Raid 0 - Primary Media Storage (Master)
2tb SSD - Raid 0 - Primary Media Storage (Master)

3tb HDD - Secondary Media Storage (Master)
3tb HDD - Secondary Media Storage (Scheduled Backup)
6tb HDD - Primary Media Storage (Scheduled Backup)
Caldigit T3 (via Thunderbolt) - Additional Volumes & Offsite Backups

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: First PC Build for Premiere & Resolve
on Jun 19, 2018 at 12:56:12 pm

1950 wouldn't be my first choice for editing, see
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Com...

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on Jun 19, 2018 at 2:36:58 pm

Thanks, I'm familiar with that article. My reasoning for leaning towards the 1950x is mainly the number of available pcie lanes for the cost, which may be necessary if I add more GPU's down the road for Resolve.

The 10c i9 7900 seems to perform a bit better in Premiere and the 16c 1950x performs a bit better in Resolve so I figured it was a wash and went for the slightly cheaper option. Also, AMD support in both Premiere and Resolve seems to be improving with each update so that seems to bode well for the faster clock speed and higher core count in the 1950x. Is this sound logic or do you still think there's a good argument for an i9 cpu?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jun 19, 2018 at 3:42:11 pm

I too switched to PC from mac and it's been fine. My concern with your selection is primarily the AMD. I know they're now adding Thunderbolt support but I'm not sure the benefits of AMD are significant enough to abandon i7 or i9 chips.

You're definitely thinking right about maximizing your lanes for future GPU adds though so could you get the same options with an i7-8700k or i9-7900x?

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on Jun 19, 2018 at 3:55:17 pm

I had initially considered the i7-series chips but seems like I will lose pcie lanes.

Given that the price is now under $900, the 7900x is probably worth some consideration. I had thought the 44 pcie lanes would limit the number of GPUs but I just discovered this article that seems to suggest otherwise. Very interesting (and confusing).

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on Jun 19, 2018 at 3:59:23 pm

...although I notice those benchmarks are for GPU rendering. Not sure how that translates to live image processing in Resolve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]