FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert File for DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Molly Blank
Convert File for DVD
on Jun 18, 2018 at 5:52:58 pm

I have a 16.42 gb high res export that my editor made of a film. The client needs a smaller one for the DVD and I don't think they want an mpeg-2 to create in encore. How can I convert the 16.42 gb into 4.5 gb or less and still maintain the quality? Can I? Or is there a better way to do this? Someone suggested Media Encoder but I think that will just get me the mpeg-2 audio and video files.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Convert File for DVD
on Jun 18, 2018 at 6:20:23 pm

DVDs are MPEG-2. That's what they are. What you need to do is get DVD Authoring software, like TOAST...then encode your full res output to the DVD format and author the DVD. You can't bump the data rate or the DVD will be unplayable, you have to go with the standard DVD bitrate. So if you have a 10 min video, it might end up under 1GB encoded for DVD...you can't make the data rate higher to make it reach the 4.7GB limit of the DVD...that will make it unplayable in DVD players. You need to author it properly.

If they want an HD DVD format...then you need to encode for BluRay and get a BluRay burner and they will need a BluRay player. But for Regular DVD...that's SD...MPEG-2 is the format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Molly Blank
on Jun 18, 2018 at 6:43:48 pm

Thanks Shane. This is perfect. So can I author a digital file on Toast and send it to them or should I send them the separate audio and video mpeg-2 for them to do on their side? Does it make a difference?

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jun 18, 2018 at 8:56:20 pm

The HD dvd also known as avchd disk will only hold 20 minutes and most standalone blurayplayer have trouble playing such disk. A thing to consider.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 19, 2018 at 12:32:15 am

Wait...you said they wanted a DVD. So, you aren't going to provide them with a DVD? What EXACTLY do they want from you? A file that they can fit onto a DATA DVD (meaning, basically like a hard drive)...one that you put in a computer, double click, and can play? Or do they want a DVD like what you rent (or used to rent) from Blockbuster? Will they be making the DVD on their end? How?

Sorry, I 'm confused now.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Al Davis
on Jun 20, 2018 at 5:11:56 pm

"The client needs a smaller one for the DVD and I don't think they want an mpeg-2 to create in encore."

If that is the case, don't bother with burning a DVD using toast (which has very limited creative tools to make a DVD); unlike Encore and DVD Studio Pro, which have elaborate creative tools built into the app.

Shane is correct - you need more info from your client, but mpg-2 and an audio file IS what you need for an SD DVD.
ALSO, if they are planning an elaborate DVD, with a motion graphics menu, etc. You need to know this, because that will bite into your bit budget (see how I did that ;-).

Creating files for DVD output is a bit of a dark art, where you manage your encode rate to optimize the quality, while still fitting it into your size DVD requirement of max 4.4 GB. That's why you need to understand what your client is up to creatively.
For a set top player you need to stay within an encode range (as Shane suggests) so that its playable. How low you go depends on the size (length of your content).

Cheers

Al Davis
Visual Velocity
Brookline, MA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]