FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNxHD color accuracy in VLC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darryn Rogers
DNxHD color accuracy in VLC
on Jun 16, 2018 at 8:03:30 am
Last Edited By Darryn Rogers on Jun 16, 2018 at 10:50:24 am

Not strictly a Premiere question but I'm hoping there's someone here who can help.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about getting accurate color display of DNxHD footage within VLC player.

After a few hours of Googling and tooling around I have now managed to display ProRes renders in VLC consistent with Premiere (See the top two images in the screenshot) but when I compare a DNxHD render in Premiere with the same DNxHD in VLC the result is very different (See the bottom two images in the screenshot).

Is this just a limitation of VLC? I'm trying to get a workflow happening on my new Windows machine. Should I just go back to my old Mac and ProRes? It's very tempting right now.

Windows 10
Premiere CC 2018
VLC 3.03
Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti

-----------------------------
Edit
-----------------------------
After some further exploration I have managed to partially solve my own problem. It seems that VLC does not display the colours of the DNx RGB 444 1080p preset available in media Encoder. I tested the other DNxHD presets available in Media Encoder and they displayed accurately in VLC. Guess I'll just stick with those.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: DNxHD color accuracy in VLC
on Jun 16, 2018 at 5:35:37 pm

Do you have a broadcast monitor that you can check your image with?

I'd recommend that you add one into the mix by adding a blackmagic card or Aja and then you can have full confidence in your outputs.

And since you're on windows I'd also recommend Potplayer instead of VLC.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Darryn Rogers
on Jun 16, 2018 at 10:03:08 pm

Thanks Greg.

Hardly anything I do goes out to broadcast these days so I don't want to invest in a broadcast card and monitor but I will look into Potplayer as an alternative to VLC.

Cheers
Darryn

Return to posts index

John Heiser
on Jun 19, 2018 at 9:33:47 pm

"Broadcast monitor" is used here as a synonym for "reference monitor." Professional reference monitors (Flanders Scientific, TV Logic, Sony, etc.) have superior electronics and hold their alignment/calibration very well. They run anywhere from a few thousand US$ to tens of thousands. If you want to know what color something really is, you use a reference monitor.

That said, most people don't have the money for a reference monitor (and the small hardware interface to feed it), so a good HDMI monitor can substitute, as long as you keep it properly calibrated. In the past, the HP Dreamcolor had a good reputation. If color is critical, you get what you pay for.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas
Birmingham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]