FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing in place (growing files with close caption)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vjeko Sabljak
Editing in place (growing files with close caption)
on Jun 11, 2018 at 6:03:42 pm

Hello editing pros!
We had Harmonic Spectrum server that recorded Apple QuickTime reference movie format, and Apple Final Cut pro.
We could Edit in Place (edit and export while recording) using our FCP and QuickTime reference file wrapper.
Our life was happy until Apple "updated" FCP to a "gadget" and killed QT reference file format.
The hope was that mxf will replace Apple QT ref file but to my surprise mxf files are self contained! How mxf is called wrapper if it is in reality essence file?
Does anyone knows is there a true Apple QT ref movie substitute that any of reputable editing software (Adobe Premiere, Avid, Edius, Vegas,....) supports?
The irony goes further when I saw our new Harmonic server still records QT ref. movie format???! For who??? Does anyone still edit on Apple 32bit workstation!?
So if anyone will share how do they edit in place (or edit growing files...) files with close caption I would greatly appreciate it.
VJ

VJ
CBN Sen Eng

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Editing in place (growing files with close caption)
on Jun 11, 2018 at 9:46:04 pm

From your description, it sounds as if you should have stopped using reference movies a long time ago. If it was my system, I would invest in more storage for the actual media.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vjeko Sabljak
Re: Editing in place (growing files with close caption)
on Jun 12, 2018 at 11:54:39 am

Hi Dave
We would gladly abandon QT reference file format if we can find the other way to edit in place as fast as FCP 7 does.
All other solutions involve exporting that in practice are re-rendering essence files. That takes much more time then EIP using reference files. With reference files the essence files were not touched on the server. The wrapper contains simple editing list so if your edits are cuts there is no need for rendering.
Even with the new faster computers using Premiere and mxf files we are not able to match the old Mac Pro tower and FCP using QT ref mov files turnaround editing times.

VJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]