FORUMS: list search recent posts

Work around a mp4 file that won't conform?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wu
Work around a mp4 file that won't conform?
on Jun 11, 2018 at 5:58:40 am

I'm using premiere cs4 and imported a bunch of mp4 files from a sony 4K camcorder.

One of the files caused premiere to generate an error during conforming. As a result, the first portion of this clip has sound and the later portion has no sound and no waveform.
I got around this by extracting the audio from this file with an audio editor (goldwave current version) and save it as a mp3 file, then import this into premiere, and replace the half-conformed audio track with this mp3.

But premiere keeps trying to conform this file once in a while.

Is there a way to prevent premiere from conforming this file? Perhaps by removing the audio track from the mp4 file somehow?

I know, the best solution is to subscribe to premiere CC but I'm just a video enthusiast and cannot justify the monthly fee. CS4 is the last version I bought.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Work around a mp4 file that won't conform?
on Jun 11, 2018 at 2:14:43 pm

Hi Peter,

I'm actually surprised that CS4 can work with current 4K files at all, would not expect the required codecs/compatibility to be there in such old software. I don't have any answer for the conforming issue, but will note that Premiere does not like .mp3 files very much. Maybe this is just with newer versions, but a lot of users have problems with them.

When you are converting the audio clip, get into the practice of creating .wav files, which are uncompressed and work better with Premiere, rather than .mp3 format which is highly compressed.

Something else to try, though I don't know how much it might degrade the video, is to convert the entire video clip prior to editing in Premiere. Is Media Encoder included as a stand-alone option with CS4? I don't recall. If you could convert the source clip to a good quality intermediate codec, you could then edit that new clip in Premiere.

Another option is to convert with the free Handbrake app, creating a new .mp4 file and that should work in Premiere, with audio embedded.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Peter Wu
Re: Work around a mp4 file that won't conform?
on Jun 14, 2018 at 1:54:19 am

I did not try handbrake because I found that VLC player, which I already installed, can extract video. It's not obvious but you need to create a new conversion profile (with audio unchecked) to do this.

You're right about mp3 vs wav.

Once I have the file split into video and wav files, I imported them into premiere and no more conform error.

Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]