FORUMS: list search recent posts

New iMac Pro system dropping frames (2 at a time)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Powers
New iMac Pro system dropping frames (2 at a time)
on Jun 6, 2018 at 3:10:55 pm

Advice?
Brand new Imac Pro clean install Premiere Pro 2018 12.1.1 Running High Sierra.

$12,000 machine dropping frames on rendered 1080 Pro Res. My old MacPro trash can drops fewer frames.
I have a connected thunderbolt NAS running at a constant 900MB sec Raid 5.
Put the footage locally on internal drive and am still getting the same result.
Put the render files onto the internal drive which runs at 3000MB sec and it is still dropping 2 frames at a time roughly every 5 seconds and sometimes it is 3 frames at once. Dropped timeline resolution down to 1/4 and it does the same thing.
Disabled BlackMagic, same thing.
Changed Mercury Playback Engine to Software only. Same thing.

Dont know what to try next. Advice?
Adobe support will point at Apple, Apple support will point at Adobe. I have been down a similar road before and know how that works.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: New iMac Pro system dropping frames (2 at a time)
on Jun 6, 2018 at 5:22:52 pm

Try an earlier version of Premiere Pro...2017. I hear too many issues with 2018 that people who then go back to 2017 say solve them. But not sure projects can go back...but worth seeing if the frames drop...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Jun 6, 2018 at 6:33:56 pm

Thanks for that. Just installed and tried it out. Same problem. 10 dropped frames in 30 secs. Usually 2 and 3 at a time.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Jun 6, 2018 at 7:29:08 pm

Maybe something to do with NTSC Drop Frame / Non Drop Frame Timecode ?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jun 6, 2018 at 7:44:41 pm

I would start by looking to see if your GPU is being fully utilized by premiere. dropped frames is almost always a symptom of inefficient performance.

Running Bill Gehrke's performance utility can tell you if your system is running at Max efficiency:

http://ppbm8.com/index.html

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 6, 2018 at 7:59:09 pm

Dumb thought but are you in software playback, Metal or Open CL?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Jun 7, 2018 at 9:22:36 pm

Spent two hours yesterday with Adobe support doing remote diagnostics with no luck. The guy just kept reducing source file resolution hoping the frames would stop dropping and never did. It even drops frames when playing back nothing! Playing a blank timeline causes dropped frames. Waiting on tier 2 support to call back. Not holding my breath.
Tried every possible setting for software vs GPU and a million other settings.
I guess if it is hardware, I am going to have to install Final Cut X and see if it still happens and hopefully it will and then Apple can deal with it.

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Jun 19, 2018 at 5:49:13 pm

Update.
Playing my test file (which is not special, just easily shows if frames drop) in quicktime player also makes it appear to drop frames. Tried many different file formats and data rates and they were all dropping frames in both Quicktime 7, 10 and in Premiere.
Found the problem. On the iMac Pro, I had an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI adapter (the only way to connect an HDMI display) connected to an external display.

Anyone else have this config?
Apple iMac Pro, Thunderbolt3 to HDMI adapter, external HDMI monitor.
Playback a video via QT and it plays with skips and stutters. Same exact loss rate that was happening in premiere.
Disconnect HDMI cable from the adapter and QT now plays smoothly, as does premiere.
Doesn't matter what the connected resolution is on the external monitor, what the external monitor brand is, or if anything is open on the second screen. It just has to be connected to cause frame drops in playback.

Apple is having me take a monitor and the adapter to the apple store for in-store testing.
Will report back after that test.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]