FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this a Quicktime issue?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kalleheikki Kannisto
Is this a Quicktime issue?
on Jun 6, 2018 at 9:56:35 am

Hi guys,

As of about 2-3 weeks ago, I have not been able to convert a .mov (animation 100% quality) of over 2GB file size in Media Encoder to H.264, not even by bringing the video in to Premiere and exporting it from there in H.264 format. The video stops at around the 2GB mark and renders a still image of that frame for the rest. Does anyone know if this is related to the end of Quicktime support or something else? Never had this problem before, it just recently appeared. Same issue in both AME CC2017 and CC2018, Windows.

Which leads to the question: Is DNXHD my next best option for high-quality (near lossless) intermediate output for Full HD with audio?

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Is this a Quicktime issue?
on Jun 6, 2018 at 10:28:43 am

I've used DNxHR or Cineform depending on what I need to do. Cineform supports weirder resolutions eg. if you're doing vertical videos.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 6, 2018 at 11:15:42 am

Thanks Tero, I'll look into using those instead. I am quite in the dark about what the issue about "Quicktime support ending" means in practice. I thought Quicktime is a container format, not an encoding format, so what's that got to with the price of fish? For example GoPro Cineform options are under Quicktime presets, so I would expect it to still export a .mov file, right? I guess I'll have to do some testing with a variety of file formats to see if that is even the issue.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 6, 2018 at 11:24:32 am

[Kalleheikki Kannisto] "I am quite in the dark about what the issue about "Quicktime support ending" means in practice"

Apple stopped developing Quicktime so instead of keeping on using the 32-bit not-secure legacy stuff developers have made their own Quicktime decoders/encoders. This means dropping support for some of the older codecs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 6, 2018 at 11:35:15 am

Ok, I see. Animation codex isn't even affected by this. Sounds like time to look for different cause for the problem.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 8, 2018 at 1:39:08 pm

Adobe Media Encoder can export H.264, but in an mp4 media container. It's extremely popular and looks darned good, too.

But if the client specifies QT H.264, What was once a single-step process becomes a 2-step process. Clients don't necessarily change their delivery specs based on Adobe's whims.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 8, 2018 at 2:14:19 pm

Hi Dave, the problem is with AME not reading a .mov file of over 2GB but stopping and rendering a still frame for the rest. This is happening with a .mov file encoded as Animation, 100% quality. Been doing that happily for ten years, now in the last two or three weeks it has suddenly ceased to work on both AME CC 2018 and 17. I'm working with other encodings for the time being. At least DNxHR and Cineform as suggested by Tero still work fine.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Chris McLaughlin
on Jun 8, 2018 at 5:58:29 pm

Are you rendering out to a new drive? Possible that the drive format is FAT16...2GB file size limit there.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 9, 2018 at 5:36:07 am

The drive is NTFS formatted. It seems to only affect Quicktime with Animation codec (that I've noticed so far). Other codecs are working fine with over 2GB file sizes. This also happens on exporting a file from Premiere (both CC18 and CC17) to that format. Haven't done any extensive testing to determine if it is a consistent problem, it seemed more sensible to switch formats than to get stuck on it. Just wondered if anyone else had run into the same issue recently.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Jun 26, 2018 at 4:44:54 pm

[Kalleheikki Kannisto] "Just wondered if anyone else had run into the same issue recently."

Yes, indeed. We're having many problems with Premiere and AME, especially in the past month, even though nothing changed in the software we have installed in our suites. We're not even running High Sierra yet, but in the past month, Animation codecs have stopped working, and other glitches have appeared.
It is particularly frustrating and puzzling as no software has been updated. Videos in animation codec which I try to transcode to M2V for DVD production are stopping in the AME queue after encoding (the task doesn't ever finish on its own and move to the next task), although the video does encode. IOW animation codec videos transcode, get stuck at the very end of processing, and I must stop the queue (check "No, please don't finish.") and restart the queue to transcode the next video.
So, without changing our (editors) software, somehow Adobe has broken Animation codec. My only guess is that the Graphics department made a change to their software, so their Animation codec videos are now defective.
Note that Animation codec is not on Adobe's list of deprecated codecs.

Christopher Smith

CBN International

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]