FORUMS: list search recent posts

Localized Grain in my Footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luca De Angelis
Localized Grain in my Footage
on May 26, 2018 at 5:13:22 pm
Last Edited By Luca De Angelis on May 27, 2018 at 8:47:40 pm

Hi everybody and thanks for your time and help!

I'm a beginner filmaker and a selflearner so many basic things are holy grail to me. This time the problem is NOISE.
As you can see from the samples I posted below, it was a bright sunny day. I shot the video on S-LOG2 (-> ISO 800), what you see is straight out of camera and graded
when exporting the video (I tried exporting in many different ways, this time is Premiere Pro YouTube1080HD preset) the noise I didn't notice working on the timeline comes out, sometimes more, sometimes less, always too much.

I, as a newbie, have too questions for you:

1. WHY? - it was a sunny (maybe even too much) day, and ok 800 is high iso, but it is clear that it is intended to be used since S-LOG2 only works on high iso; and kk the Roman Structure in the background is darker than the rest of the frame, but still it was very well lit by the sun - or so I thought - and, last but not least, this is not the first time I suspect my SONY a6300 has a strange dynamic range.

2. CAN I DO SOMETHING? - A possible solution that came to my mind, since it is a static shot, is to mask a single frame of the structure on the footage, to at least stop the grain from moving around. Is it a solution? is there a better one?

Graded

Out of Camera (but scaled from 4k to 1080)

please watch at 1080HD

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Localized Grain in my Footage
on May 27, 2018 at 9:31:49 pm

The grain looks fine. I'd be more concerned about the screen suddenly turning to green.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Luca De Angelis
on May 27, 2018 at 11:54:45 pm

Hallo Dave. Thanks for the kind answer.

Maybe it was my mistake, I have a very slow internet connection, so I uploaded some very short videos. I can assure you that on the long run, the grain on the roman structure is really annoying and distracting the viewer. What can I do to limit it, w/out affecting the rest of the image?

The "screen suddenly turning to green"? What do you refer to? I'm sorry but I couldn't understand

Self Learner Actor - Photographer - Filmmaker

Return to posts index

Luca De Angelis
on May 29, 2018 at 4:54:05 pm

I this clip it's more evident

this only happens after the export

Self Learner Actor - Photographer - Filmmaker

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 29, 2018 at 6:04:14 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 30, 2018 at 4:52:32 pm

Are you confusing grainy video with the noise I see at the high-contrast boundaries of sky and arches?

If you are, there is no fix for that. You can reduce grain in after effects, but there's no solution for eliminating high-contrast noise.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]