FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyframe Lumetri/Adjustment Layer...?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Strecker
Keyframe Lumetri/Adjustment Layer...?
on May 25, 2018 at 3:48:56 am

Hello,

I'm working on a feature film where I want a color grade (using Lumetri) to fade in over the course of a scene. There does not seem to be a way to do this, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm hoping there's something I just am not thinking of.

Things I've tried (and why they didn't work):
- Keyframing the adjustment layer's opacity from 0% to 100% over the course of the scene (this seemed to do nothing; the effects were still visible even at 0%)
- Keyframing a mask on the opacity (same)
- Keyframing masks on each effect (same)
- Keyframing the intensity of each effect (worked on some, some can't keyframe like Curves inside Lumetri)
- Cross Dissolve from the start to finish of the scene (this caused the entire screen to go black at the start and fade in over the course of the entire scene)

Is there really no way to do this...? This seems like a thing that should be very simple, but it has not been so far. All I want to do is fade a color grade from 0 to 100. What is the best way to do this? (Note: there are dozens of clips in this timeline, so crossfading together clips with different intensities of the grade isn't really an option--I CAN do it, but if I ever want to make any change, I have to change every single clip...)

Thank you,

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment
http://www.youtube.com/JTSEntertainment

Return to posts index

Al Davis
Re: Keyframe Lumetri/Adjustment Layer...?
on May 25, 2018 at 12:52:44 pm

I just tried this.
Most of the controls (not curves) seem to have individual key framing capabilities in the "effects control" tab.

But worked perfectly was simply creating an overall (entire frame) square mask for Lumetri, and then animating the opacity from 0%-100% over time....or the reverse.

Al Davis
Visual Velocity
Brookline, MA

Return to posts index

James Strecker
on May 25, 2018 at 5:19:01 pm

For whatever reason, that's not working for me. I tried making a full-screen mask and keyframing the opacity of that. When it's un-animated and 0% opacity across the board, it truly is 0%. When it's 100% across the board, it truly is 100%. But when I animate it from 0% to 100%, at the start, it's not 0%. It's somewhere in-between. This is very irritating, haha.

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

James Strecker
on May 25, 2018 at 5:32:30 pm

P.S. I had a hunch that maybe since I had multiple effects on one adjustment layer, they were cancelling each other out or something dumb like that. But I just separated all the effects onto separate adjustment layers and keyframed full-screen masks for all of them, and I get the same result as before: they still affect everything underneath them even at 0% opacity. :)

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

Al Davis
on May 25, 2018 at 5:38:28 pm

What version of PP are you using?

I have 12.1.1
It's a terrible release, but this worked flawlessly. I had never tried this before, but your question seemed like a learning opportunity.

For Lumetri, don't use an adjustment layer. Just apply the Lumetri color grade to the clip, and then apply the mask (no inverse) and animate the opacity.
This worked for me 1st time, no fuss.

Al Davis
Visual Velocity
Brookline, MA

Return to posts index

James Strecker
on May 25, 2018 at 6:24:53 pm

Thanks, Al. I am using CC 2018. I'm not sure if there's a further number for the current version.

I had assumed the Adjustment Layer is the problem, since it obvious acts differently than if I were to apply any number of effects to a clip directly. However, this won't solve my issue, because I need the color grade to "fade in" over the course of my entire timeline, not just one clip. I fear my only solution will be to leave the grade alone, export the full video without the grade, and then apply the grade directly to that full video (since it would now be one long clip). I will do this if I have to, I just know I'll likely lose a bit of clarity in the image, which is of course unwanted.

Thanks,

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

James Poll
on May 31, 2018 at 4:01:26 pm

Hi James,

Don't know if you found a solution yet, but what I would probably do in your situation is the following:

1) Apply your grade across everything by using the adjustment layer.

2) Make a copy of all the untreated clips that make up the original sequence, and put them into a nest.

3) Put the untreated nest above the adjustment layer, and apply a long fade-out to it, which should then reveal the treated version underneath.

Good luck!
James

Return to posts index

James Strecker
on Jun 4, 2018 at 8:59:26 pm

James,

That's a really good idea. That hadn't occurred to me. It's dumb that there has to be that workaround, but I will try it out! Thank you so much!

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]