FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are the .BIM sidecar files with my .MXF footage?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Rich
What are the .BIM sidecar files with my .MXF footage?
on May 23, 2018 at 6:54:11 pm

So I've been working with my Sony FS7 mk II for a year now. When ingesting footage I only save the .MXF footage and have no problem editing. But I want to better understand my camera as I am researching better archiving tools and ways to store metadata and ensure the longevity of my footage. I am going to start keeping the .XML files going forward to preserve whatever metadata they hold (not sure how to edits these yet to add keywords, but one step at a time). My immediate question is what are the .BIM sidecar files that are created along with the .MXF and the .XML file. And are they worth saving?

Ben Rich
Videographer | Technologist
https://sites.google.com/site/benrichfilm/

Return to posts index

James Brooks
Re: What are the .BIM sidecar files with my .MXF footage?
on May 23, 2018 at 8:36:10 pm

Hi Ben

They are real time metadata files, and probably worth keeping. The XML contains the static, one time per file metadata. The BIM file can keep metadata that changes over time (think timecode, userbits, lens info, gps location). I am not sure what the FS7 is filling in for this file, but you can bet it might come in handy in the future

Cheers, James

http://www.drastic.tv

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What are the .BIM sidecar files with my .MXF footage?
on May 23, 2018 at 9:58:59 pm

Want to ensure the longevity of your camera masters? ARCHIVE EVERYTHING! BACK UP THE ENTIRE card...not parts of it. Don't be selective, don't leave things out. Those files are so small, you aren't saving space, and they contain information linked to the MXF files...metadata...date, time shot...camera recorded on, lots of information. And while you don't THINK your NLE uses that when importing, it might, it might not. But another NLE might require it, and without those files, cannot import properly.

Always archive the ENTIRE Card...and maintain the full card structure.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]