FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calling all Super PC and Adobe CS5 Nerds

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Rescuelot
Calling all Super PC and Adobe CS5 Nerds
on May 23, 2018 at 5:21:22 am

I'm building a super monster 8-core PC. I don't really wanna put all the specifications here, because the parts; although they seem outdated, are really really rare. Like, stupid-rare, and I I'm waiting to get $1,000 to buy them, and I don't want you to go and grab them online before me (I am honestly, not trying to sound mean) But below are the basic specifications:
Processor: 8-Core (8mb Cache) AMD Chipset
Memory: 32 GB DDR3
Graphics: 2 X 3gb ATI (Crossfired) blah blah, not really as important
Motherboard: supports hyper-transport, not hyperthreading (different concept)
Raid: Raid 0 pattern on Asus Hyper PCI M.2 Adapter on PCIE 16x 3.0 speed port - probably 2 M.2 drives of 512gb a piece. Operating system is on one of them (I know that seems dumb, but this configuration probably won't ever crash, and I can utilize a SATA III ssd as a backup {sometimes})

And now to the big question. Does anyone have experience in the diverse system setups for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 64-bit ??

And I'm not dumb, and I know that there is CS6 and Pro CC and blah blah; I'm actually asking specifically about CS5 (Don't ask why, I just really want to), and how to:
1. Allocate all the cores (8 of them AMD chipset) for parallel usage of 64-bit effectively
2. Allocate Rendering options for Crossfired ATI Graphics cards
3. Importing 4k Video with H.265 codecs (Sometimes called H.264+ {plus})

I really am just hoping that someone who is a nerd like me has done the homework, troubleshooting, and build for a super whopper PC and still finds some sort of advantage to an Older 8-Core (not RyZen or later) running on CS5.
I've heard you need CUDA or something, is this part of the common solutions on this older Adobe Editor?

Please help, and I put in the quote on the profile here a saying that I use, "I like the sarcasm, but I hate the arrogance". That usually sums up the difference between people being awesome and being mean. Thank you for reading this,

-Zachary

I like the sarcasm, but dislike the arrogance. You are not the smartest guy in the room.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Calling all Super PC and Adobe CS5 Nerds
on May 23, 2018 at 7:23:11 am
Last Edited By Tero Ahlfors on May 23, 2018 at 7:28:26 am

[Zachary Rescuelot] "1. Allocate all the cores (8 of them AMD chipset) for parallel usage of 64-bit effectively"

In Premiere this is automagic.

[Zachary Rescuelot] "2. Allocate Rendering options for Crossfired ATI Graphics cards"

I think CS5 didn't have OpenCL support until later so there'll probably be no help from that setup.

[Zachary Rescuelot] "3. Importing 4k Video with H.265 codecs (Sometimes called H.264+ {plus})"

No support for that in CS5 unless you can find some third party QT/other codec for that.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 23, 2018 at 7:46:48 am

[Zachary Rescuelot] "I've heard you need CUDA or something"

Back in the day the official CUDA support was really limited and although you could use a text editor to add your Nvidia card to the list (if you had enough VRAM) there were lot of glitches with those.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 23, 2018 at 1:12:12 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on May 23, 2018 at 1:20:02 pm

Go to the Adobe hardware forum and search out dual GPU. There's a fair amount of discussion as to whether you'll see any real performance improvement. The number of GPU CUDA cores is a primary determiner of efficiency along with your GPU being able to utilize the maximum lanes- i.e., 16x

Also on that forum there's been numerous posts advocating that putting your OS on a m.2 is not optimal. Save the m.2's for media.

If you're going to be working with 4k media I'd advocate upping your RAM to 64 gigs.

Lastly, you can save yourself a lot of future frustration if you think in terms of transcoding all 4k H264 and H265 media to an edit friendly codec prior to edit.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on May 23, 2018 at 5:20:48 pm

You can buy a lot of multi-core goodness for $1,000. I can understand if this is an experiment, but I can tell you from experience that your limiting factor with be CS5. It's really very "ignorant" of high end systems as your build describes. Also, while there was Cuda support, there was limited ATI GPU support - I actually dumped my ATI cards for an Nvidia 690 with 4GB (and paid through the nose for it).

Dell and Lenovo make some great desktop PCs with i7, 4GHz CPUs and high end Nvidia GPUs that will come in under $1,000 and deal with most CS5 tasks with aplomb.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 24, 2018 at 9:45:54 pm

Why don't you just pick up a used HP Z800 or 820 on *Bay for well under a grand? I know it's not built from scratch, but the configurability of these boxes is totally unsurpassed, the case design is just incredible, and you can tear them down to the motherboard without any tools!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]