FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 newbie questions - manual, davinci

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david furst
3 newbie questions - manual, davinci
on May 18, 2018 at 9:48:08 pm

greetings !

i've been learning to use premiere pro cs6 for several weeks now, going along ok, but things could be better.

i'm actually a huge fan of rtfm, and usually read user guides avidly. unfortunately, i can't seem to find any sort of manual anywhere for premiere pro, the best i've found is the adobe online 'help' section [which is why i continue to come to these forums and ask questions that must seem pretty naïve to some...]. so here's another one -- is there anywhere to get a user guide for premiere pro cs6 ? i mean, an honest-to-goodness, complete reference, with more than just a line or two of explanation for a given feature ?

failing that, can anyone recommend a good, detailed book that covers this info ? amazon offers only about 2 dozen of them, and it's hard for me to judge what's good and what's not.

finally, given some of the issues i've been facing, i've been looking at migrating to davinci resolve. upgrading to one of adobe's current cloud-based programmes isn't an option, as my audio/video machine has no network, and never will. so my question here is, has anyone worked on both resolve and premiere pro, and if so, could you give me your opinion, comparing the two ?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: 3 newbie questions - manual, davinci
on May 18, 2018 at 10:59:16 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on May 18, 2018 at 11:09:03 pm

I don't know if this is any better than what you have already, but here it is anyway:

12400_premierepro.pdf.zip

It seems that the link to "Getting Started with Premiere Pro" in the Premiere Pro getting started tutorials section still works. The others are all out of date.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 20, 2018 at 5:29:57 am

[david furst] "upgrading to one of adobe's current cloud-based programmes isn't an option, as my audio/video machine has no network, and never will."

Any particular reason why?

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

david furst
on May 21, 2018 at 7:34:46 am

@jim scott : thank you very much ! this is helpful. ☺ i'm surprised adobe don't have a proper user's manual though. :-?

@greg janza : the machine was originally purposed as a dedicated music production workstation, and was built without networking because apparently a machine will allocate a fair amount of computer resources and processor to networking and network-related activities, doing things in the background even when you're not actively surfing the net. this can lead to dropouts, clicks, pops, and other undesirable glitches. as a result, some manufacturers make machines without networking, or have it all turned off.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 21, 2018 at 2:17:44 pm

[david furst] "apparently a machine will allocate a fair amount of computer resources and processor to networking and network-related activities, doing things in the background even when you're not actively surfing the net. this can lead to dropouts, clicks, pops, and other undesirable glitches. as a result, some manufacturers make machines without networking, or have it all turned off."

That may have been the case in the past and I know some folks still swear by the idea of not having their edit systems connected to the internet but there's also the option of being connected. I've always had my edit systems connected and it's never been detrimental to my edit performance.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]