FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Premiere 12 the most buggy release of Premiere Ever? WTF.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Roberts
Is Premiere 12 the most buggy release of Premiere Ever? WTF.
on May 18, 2018 at 2:28:19 pm
Last Edited By Bryan Roberts on May 18, 2018 at 2:39:51 pm

Premiere CC V12 (and 12.1 and 12.1.1) has been the bane of my existence the past month or so. It's so unfathomably buggy and weird on my system (and I confirmed my weird errors and issues with lots of other folks having the same issues on the Adobe forums) I can't believe Adobe ever released it. Anyone else out there so sick of Adobe with this latest version? Granted, I don't have the most typical system (2009 Mac Pro outfitted with 2 x 3.46 GHZ 6 core Xeons running 10.13.4, GTX 1080 Ti - it cuts 4k and 5k like a champ, USB C 3.1 internal card is incredibly fast, why upgrade?) but it's not a hackintosh either. Running Premiere 11, I had very little crashing, no weird sound issues, Media Encoder would encode an entire project's worth of proxies without issue, it was surprisingly stable and I was quite happy. ONE bug bothered me - for whatever reason when I opened a bin in it's own window, it had an annoying habit of opening the window with the top of the window off my screen so I couldn't move that window to access the files. In v12, I was hoping they'd have fixed that. Immediately I realized, they hadn't. Bummer. I continued on and it has bit me in the ass on a daily basis ever since. Here's my V12 issues without having changed a single bit of my hardware between 11 and 12:

- When I start a project at the beginning of my day, my sequence I was last working on either will not output sound for some mysterious reason (the only way to solve this is to duplicate that sequence and then magically it works fine) OR MUCH WORSE, if I have used Multiband Compressor on say dialogue audio clips (I do this quite often for internet delivering projects) the Multiband Compressor filter is ignored. The only way to re-enable is to select the filter, choose a different preset like broadcast, then re-select internet. If I remove all filters and paste Multiband Compressor with the Internet setting back on, that a lot of times will not fix the issue. I must toggle another selection and then go back to the internet setting. It's f'n maddening.

- Dreaded Adobe Player error for no reason. Project loads, everything seems great, I start cutting and a few seconds in, media player error. This one is hard to track down what the solution is as it's not always consistent on it's fix but generally it's restarting Premiere, starting a new project and importing my old project into that new project. Sometimes it's almost like it flips a switch and Premiere fixes itself and then I can open the old project without issue, other times, not.

- Media Encoder used to never crash on huge batch jobs. Now since V12, I can only get roughly 10 clips to transcode to proxy files before it hangs and freezes while using CUDA... which is the whole reason why I have the GTX1080Ti which again, worked flawlessly with ME that was attached to V11. If I do software only, it will sometimes make it through albeit much much slower.

- Can't export to ProRes quicktime movies using my old presets I've had for several versions now. I get a strange error. The workaround for this one is to choose a different codec, then match source and then change my settings manually. It's weird.

- Can sometimes do bin searches for files... sometimes I can't. It's a very temperamental feature in v12.

- I close Premiere, even when just closing the program without any crashes at the end of a work day... and Premiere won't shut down all the way. The windows all close but the icon stays active in my tray. Now I can't close down my machine. I try to force quit, that usually works. But once every couple weeks, it doesn't work. I force quit over and over again. My machine will not shut down. Instead, I'm forced to do a hard shutdown holding down the power button on my tower for several seconds and that horrible dreaded hard click from all my hard drives, some in RAIDS, when they're shut down without being ejected happens because at that point, Finder isn't responding anymore and won't let me eject anything. It's infuriating. I've been lucky enough not to lose any drives from this so far. I rebuild drive indexes just in case using Disk Warrior. I'm just trying to close the GD program down for the day. How hard can it be to write code that consistently closes your application.

I have been praising Premiere CC for years now since I was forced out of my FC7 world, always despised the buggy ness of Avid and FCP X is, well you know. But seriously, WTF Adobe, this V12 release has been an embarrassment - it feels like every time I open it, the program is being held together with duct tape, like anything might fall off and break at any moment which is a horrible feeling when you're trying to get high paying clients creative work out to be shown to millions of people.

Anyone else hating Premiere with V12?

EDITOR
Commercial / Feature / Doc
http://www.BryanRobertsEditor.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is Premiere 12 the most buggy release of Premiere Ever? WTF.
on May 18, 2018 at 2:54:20 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 18, 2018 at 2:55:14 pm

Is there any reason you can't install the final update to CC 2017 and use it?

I make it a policy to stay one version behind. I don't want to be part of the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on May 18, 2018 at 3:03:09 pm

What Dave said - that is so true. We'll consider 2018 once 2019 is released, and 2018 is on to the dot 1 or dot 2 (or even dot 3) release.

We are staying with 2017, and happy to be there just getting work done.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Al Davis
on May 18, 2018 at 4:01:26 pm

Dave and Jon, I don't know about you, but I consider the 12.1 release as extremely important, because it finally brings color correcting equal to what FCP 7 offered: that being comparative windows for shot matching. The AI stuff is secondary to me.
As much as I like Premiere Pro, and have long since shook loose from my Apple addiction (I never embraced FCP X); this feature is huge in my eyes.

Adobe is two weeks late in fixing this, given how many editors it has marooned.

That said, the old update rule (never in the middle of a project) still stands.

Bryan - role back to 12.0, it should be fine.

Al Davis
Visual Velocity
Brookline, MA

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 18, 2018 at 5:03:43 pm

Actually our experience with a mix of 2009-2012 Mac Pro Towers and two new iMacPro's CC 2015 was the most solid performer around here. Not all the bells and whistles of the newer versions but it was solid, from Lumetri on down.

As soon as we upgraded to CC 2017, mostly out of necessity of exchanging files with other companies we started to have odd issues pop up that we never had on CC 2015.

Most of our systems have CC 2015 and CC 2017 and CC 2018 installed, again out of necessity of having the different versions around for sharing with other editors....this is real world use....if you won't let me open a CC 2018 version in CC 2015 and a client starts a project in 2018 we HAVE to have that version installed.....I know we can mess with an XML workflow but having it installed is the easiest path.

Does this create issues with the software having all three installed at the same time? Perhaps but we have to have it on all our systems for the best workflow. I hope Adobe is testing systems with more than one install because I assume many of us are configured this way.

One annoying thing we see is odd window drawing issues. On our iMacPros we have a superwide second monitor, the 32 inch Dell, and if I have my Premier timeline over there the pulldown menus don't work! Also many issues in general depending on how the windows and palettes are laid out. And AE is plagued with a different set of issues we never saw in our CC 2015 installs.....oh, the good old days!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on May 18, 2018 at 6:13:55 pm

Ah, well great to hear it's most people having issues.

I agree, I should have stayed on old versions. That one little bug was really pissing me off on V11 with the bin windows popping up off screen. So I dipped my toe - the first couple weeks, nothing too bad and then it all went to hell. I didn't downgrade because I had then made changes to several projects (I'm usually juggling a few) and couldn't keep the work I had done since the upgrade so was too far in to turn back. It's been abysmal.

And yes, 2015 Premiere release was VERY stable (not sure which version numbers we were on then). Even the releases last year were relatively solid. Everything I've gotten late last year and this year (which I believe has started with the V12 releases) has been absolute unconscionable garbage. It truly feels like Avid lately where they'd have one solid release that everyone stayed on for like 3-4+ years after it's release because no one dared deal with the buggy crap they'd put out for the public to use for several years after. Clearly, I need to start treating Premiere that way (I was flying to close to the sun I guess or treating it more like FCP 7 releases which were shockingly stable and usable every time, ah the good old days).

EDITOR
Commercial / Feature / Doc
http://www.BryanRobertsEditor.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]