FORUMS: list search recent posts

Team Projects and Media Cache

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Adair
Team Projects and Media Cache
on May 14, 2018 at 9:20:46 pm

I recently worked on a team project on-location for about a week. We had four shooters who would copy media to shared storage then cut selects, while I was in charge of taking their selects and cutting daily event highlights. By the end of the week it was turning into a substantial amount of footage.

The biggest issue we faced was with our media cache files -- each time an editor would log on there were files to conform... and conform... and conform! Every day that process got more unwieldy, to the point where that took up a major portion of our edit time. We tried moving the cache files to the shared storage but it didn't seem to help.

Any words of wisdom from you Team Players out there on how we can optimize this workflow for next time?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Team Projects and Media Cache
on May 14, 2018 at 10:26:34 pm

You're actually trying to use Adobe Team? Wow, you're really brave! That thing's a train wreck.

The only tip I have is to NOT use Adobe Team until those geniuses in San Jose get their act together so that the thing runs as advertised.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 14, 2018 at 11:18:59 pm

Our shop works collaboratively with all project files on shared storage (QNAP NAS). So, NOT in the cloud, which is what Team Projects is all about. But, multiple editors can all open project files, including the same files simultaneously, from the NAS.

Originally, we had issues with cache files being written to the NAS. One editor would create a new project, import media into it, and work on the project. The cache files were written to the NAS for the first time upon import. So you'd think that would be OK for the other editors when they later would open the same project. In fact, most of the time whenever they opened the project, it would go through the conform all over again instead of linking to the existing files.

We have ultimately just opted to write the cache files to local drives. Yes, this means each new editor to open the project on the NAS for the first time will have to write their own set of cache files (locally), but at least it only happens the first time.

Honestly, I'm not sure why Premiere even has to do this, since it's never been an issue with Avid.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Lee Adair
on May 15, 2018 at 8:33:29 pm

Interesting, Oliver - we work off of shared storage, but have never had more than one editor working in the same project at the same time; didn't think that was possible due to conflicts as each editor changes the project. As far as a local cache, we had the same thing at first, but each project "save" (or "share" in Team Project parlance) triggered new media with new cache files.

Will someone else confirm their experience with sharing a local Premiere Project at the same time? If that's possible I'll definitely rethink using a Team Project for such an event in the future.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 15, 2018 at 9:15:43 pm

[Lee Adair] "but have never had more than one editor working in the same project at the same time; didn't think that was possible due to conflicts as each editor changes the project"

This was changed in the last big update. Multiple editors can now have multiple projects simultaneously open at a time. Whoever opens the project first has write permission for it. Everyone after that has read-only. Read/write permissions can be changed, so it's very similar to how Media Composer works.

Think of Premiere Pro project files as somewhat like Avid bin files. In our case, we usually have an editor open another open project in read-only mode, just to snag some media or sequence and bring those into their own open project. (This can also be done via Media Browser.)

In the practical world, you could have a longer show divided up into sections, one project per section. Then have one "master" project to combine all the piece.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Lee Adair
on May 15, 2018 at 10:34:30 pm

OK, that makes more sense, and probably wouldn't have worked out in my case. We often had all four of us editing at once, either on selects or actual deliverables, and Team Projects made managing that super-simple; just share changes every so often and they are available to everyone with no delay. Managing four versions of the project and making sure that they all got conformed into a master project would have been a much more difficult logistical challenge.

Thanks for the clarification!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 15, 2018 at 11:19:55 pm

[Lee Adair] "Managing four versions of the project and making sure that they all got conformed into a master project would have been a much more difficult logistical challenge."

Agreed. Each has its place and appropriate workflows.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Lee Adair
on May 15, 2018 at 8:36:53 pm

Honestly, other than the media cache issue we found it to be rather easy to use. Premiere seemed to crash a bit more than usual, but on the plus side every relaunch picked me up exactly where I had left off without asking me if I needed to open a recovery version of the project. Each night we would convert the day's edits into a stand-alone project just to safeguard it, but we never needed to go back to one of them.

Just curious what your experience has been with Team Projects, Dave. What issues have you run into?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]