FORUMS: list search recent posts

sync audio challenge

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Hornbacher
sync audio challenge
on May 8, 2018 at 6:45:00 pm

I have what I think is a pretty difficult post challenge that I'm wondering if folks out there have a solution.

Two cameras, one sound recordist, following a couple around all day in many different settings talking with several different people for a total of about four hours.

Camera 1 captured 98 clips, Camera 2 captured 94 clips, both at uncoordinated start/stop times. Camera 1 timecode counts up from the random start time of 03:35:51:20 and Camera 2 timecode starts at 00:00 for every clip.

Audio captured 4 long audio clips using time of day timecode.

No slates clapped, none of the sources have any timecode relationship. Here's what it looks like (Camera 1 = V1 A1, Camera 2 = V2 A2, Audio =A3 through A7):

Is there a way to synchronize this audio using the waveforms? I don't think Synchronize can handle a batch like this. Can Plural Eyes make sense of it?

Jon Hornbacher
EditSquid

Return to posts index

Jo Liesendahl
Re: sync audio challenge
on May 8, 2018 at 7:50:08 pm

Hi Jon,

syncing with the waveforms won't help you much, but Pluraleyes should work fine as long as the atmo of the cameras is reasonably meaningful.
By the way you can test PE for 2 weeks for free...

best Jo

Return to posts index

Jon Hornbacher
on May 9, 2018 at 12:55:27 am

Thanks, Jo. I've been able to sync the two cameras with Plural Eyes (trial), which is great. But it doesn't seem to be able sync these with the four audio clips. But this is more progress than I expected, so I'll keep at it.

Jon Hornbacher
EditSquid

Return to posts index

Jo Liesendahl
on May 9, 2018 at 4:57:42 am

So you did step 1, congrat! ^^
My next step would be to put camera 1 (those with continuous TC) in relation to the audio, so find a spot where they match.
Then calculate the time difference and either rewrite the TC in the long audio files and create a multicam sequence by using TC.

press the thumbs,

Jo

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 9, 2018 at 5:17:55 am

I see you've already gone down a path of using Pluraleyes but Premiere now has all of the sync functions of Pluraleyes built in.

You can sync within the Premiere timeline by simply highlighting your secondary audio tracks as well as the camera angles and then control clicking and selecting synchronize. Since you have a large number of clips you may want to create multiple timelines but there's no need to use Pluraleyes at all.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 11, 2018 at 8:50:33 am
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on May 11, 2018 at 8:54:28 am

[greg janza] "Premiere now has all of the sync functions of Pluraleyes built in"

How do you synchronize multiple clips at once with Premiere? The synchronize option is grayed out when selecting more than one clip per track.

I know about the "create multi-camera source sequence" option, but in testing it "synced" three clips out of 25 -- all of them wrong -- as opposed to using PluralEyes that synced everything correctly.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 11, 2018 at 5:28:19 pm

[Kalleheikki Kannisto] "How do you synchronize multiple clips at once with Premiere? The synchronize option is grayed out when selecting more than one clip per track."

If you highlight all of your clips in the bin and then control click and select create multicam source sequence you can sync all at once.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 12, 2018 at 12:36:29 pm

Yeah, that's the one I tried, that method didn't sync anything with my two-camera source footage. It created three comps with one synced pair in each -- and all three were incorrectly synced. So not quite up to the quality of PluralEyes, which synced all almost perfectly and into a single, usable comp.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 12, 2018 at 2:48:40 pm

You'll need to check your settings when you create the multicam sequence because if you have audio on each source Premiere should have no problem syncing. I use this feature a lot and I've never run into clips that couldn't sync.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 13, 2018 at 5:18:19 pm

Hi Greg -- Ok, good to know. I'll give it another try on the next project. Perhaps there's something that I missed. It has worked ok on selected clips before, i.e. choosing the specific clips to sync, but I haven't been able to sync a full project in one go in Premiere as yet.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on May 10, 2018 at 6:46:36 am

Creation time of clips will get you close. Even if clock wasn’t correct it will be consistently different.

Videotoolshed have tools to get creation time to timecode - https://www.videotoolshed.com/handcrafted-timecode-tools/qtchange/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]