FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro for rants?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael O'Connor
GoPro for rants?
on May 7, 2018 at 4:22:38 pm

Hello all!

I have a friend/client that wants to sit at a desk and record rants that last from 1 to 3 minutes. I was stunned by my first look at GoPro footage and I am thinking that this may be the way to go with a permanent set-up. GoPro makes a USB adapter that will accept a 3.5mm audio plug and Whirlwind makes an XLR to 3.5mm adapter, so theoretically I can boom him with a Sennheiser short shotgun to capture better audio. A bit of a plumbing nightmare, but I can leave this all set-up and all he has to do is push a button; and all I have to do is grab the little SD card to do the editing.

The only drawback is I have a 10 year old computer with twin Intel Xeon 3.4 MHz Processors. I have no problems editing MXF files from my Panasonic AJ-SPX800P Cameras, but it is really slow on GoPro footage. I want to move into a HP Z840 Workstation with an NVIDIA Video card to take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine. But that will be my next post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Mike

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
Re: GoPro for rants?
on May 8, 2018 at 1:26:57 am

You're going to want to transcode the GoPro footage to edit with. Use GoPro Cineform and then build a sequence preset that keeps it all in this format all the way through. So a minute to 3 minutes of final footage is probably 5 to 10 minutes of raw footage. Your file sizes you end up working with will be substantial, but your outputs can go back to h.264. Just don't try to edit with the h.264. You'll get nowhere.

Return to posts index

Michael O'Connor
Re: GoPro for rants?
on May 8, 2018 at 4:42:00 am

Good to know.

Thanks Paul!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]