FORUMS: list search recent posts

3rd monitor

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Dickinson
3rd monitor
on May 4, 2018 at 7:23:22 pm

I am using Premiere Pro CC version 12.0 on a Mac Pro w/High Sierra. I am using 2 of the Thunderbolt connections for the twin work station monitors, but would also like to send just my record viewer to a bigger screen monitor strictly for playback for an audience. Is there a way to do that? Would it be a Mac connection or a setting in Premiere or both? Thanks.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: 3rd monitor
on May 4, 2018 at 8:23:37 pm

You need a third party play back card like this one:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-32

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor
Adobe CC 2018
Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0
Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280
Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 4, 2018 at 9:01:16 pm

If you have an additional Thunderbolt port available, Black Magic also offers the UltraStudio Mini Monitor - works the same as the part Greg listed, but is a tiny external box with SDI and HDMI output ports, and connects to Mac via Thunderbolt. Clean and simple, no card to install.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 4, 2018 at 10:38:12 pm

You can also get a dock like a CalDigit dock, which has HDMI out. This will enable you to run a third display via HDMI. It will appear as another desktop display, but in Premiere you can set it to be the video output. The "trash can" Mac Pro by itself doesn't support 3 displays using the built-in Thunderbolt and its HDMI. In the suite I normally use, we have two Apple displays, plus a large Panasonic consumer panel for client video.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bob Dickinson
on May 5, 2018 at 12:46:44 pm

Oliver, this pretty much nails what I’m looking for. I’ll be checking into this for sure. How do I tell Premiere to set this to a video out? I just switched from Final Cut a couple weeks ago. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 5, 2018 at 8:08:37 pm

[Bob Dickinson] "How do I tell Premiere to set this to a video out?"

In Premiere's playback settings tab, you will see the available displays that can be used for video output. Simply check the box next to the one to use and that should be it. The one caveat to all of this is that computer displays may or may not show interlaced material properly, since they are inherently progressive. I typically have a Panasonic flat 50" panel and it works fine with i, p, psf in this mode, but that may not be universally true.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bob Dickinson
on May 5, 2018 at 12:42:58 pm

Thanks Jeff. I’ll check it out.

Return to posts index

Bob Dickinson
on May 5, 2018 at 12:41:46 pm

Thanks for the response Greg. I’ll look into the card but will probably opt for something external.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]