FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unusable playback speed, 1 fps at best

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eliot Scarpetti
Unusable playback speed, 1 fps at best
on Apr 30, 2018 at 3:19:01 pm

Using Premiere CC latest update 12.1.1 build 10

MP4 4k footage from a GH4 in a 4k timeline. Playback speed is in realtime but it drops about 98% of frames. Playback is far beyond choppy, it's completely unusable.

See example here: https://vimeo.com/267251474

Computer specs: Mac OS high Sierra version 10.13.3
Macbook Pro retina, 15 inch mid 2015
Processor: 3.5 GHz inter core i7
Memory: 16 gb 1600 MHz DDR3
Start up disk Mac HD
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I ripped most of my hair out already. Please help me not go totally bald!
Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Unusable playback speed, 1 fps at best
on May 1, 2018 at 1:47:03 am

4K-MP4 from a Camera like that is going to be highly compressed and therefore almost impossible to playback. There would be two ways you could go to solve your playback issues.

You could use a Proxy Workflow or Transcode all of your footage to an Intra Frame Codec like ProRes. The biggest problem with Transcoding all of the Footage is the total size of all the Transcoded Footage could be 10 or more times larger than the original footage.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Eliot Scarpetti
on May 1, 2018 at 2:18:50 am

Thanks for your reply Brent. I understand what you are saying, but then on a finder window i can quickly and instantly review my footage in a preview window. I can flip between clips and they play instantly. I put the same clips in a Premiere sequence and they playback at 1 fps. I noticed in Davinci they also playback almost perfectly with no dropped frames (no LUTs). Are there known issues with Premiere's playback?
Eliot

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on May 1, 2018 at 6:37:07 pm

There can be playback issues In Premiere but they shouldn't be that severe.
Have your setup the Mercury Engine setting to OPEN CL since you have and AMD GPU.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]