FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to collaborate online sharing. 300GB dslr footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milla Spivey
How to collaborate online sharing. 300GB dslr footage
on Apr 30, 2018 at 1:46:20 pm
Last Edited By Milla Spivey on Apr 30, 2018 at 1:48:51 pm

Hello, I started a project as a student with a ton of dslr footage but only 5 or 10% of all the clips I imported into it ended in the timeline. Now I need to share this project with collaborators online to do color correction and to clean up sound. But the size is too huge. Going through the project clip by clip trying to clean up the unused portions would take me forever. How can I share this Premier project with my collaborators online?

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: How to collaborate online sharing. 300GB dslr footage
on Apr 30, 2018 at 3:49:20 pm

You need to consolidate your project. However, if you use project manager in premiere you may run into problems so here's a method of consolidating that will retain your folder/bin structure:

http://www.thepremierepro.com/blog-1/2016/1/4/hey-project-manager-whered-my...

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor
Adobe CC 2018
Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0
Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280
Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Milla Spivey
on May 1, 2018 at 12:12:34 am

Thanks a lot, Greg. It shows how to get rid of unneeded clips in the sequence. But in order to share my project with someone to do color correction, I can't really get rid of all the extra footage and unused clips inside the project (on my hard drive) unless I go one by one, correct? And that would take days and days as I used a little here and there, but most of the clips included in the project were unused.
I also have another project that will take tons of space as it was shot in 4K. And it's about an animal, so 90% of the shots are unusable because the animal didn't exactly wait for my direction, move elsewhere, jump out of focus, etc. That project I have not started editing yet. But I doubt it makes sense to preview the files as there could be some 5-min. long clip for example of which several seconds here and there would be worth taking into the timeline. But that would leave me with an unbelievable amount of footage in the project again. It's much easier for me to import the whole 5-min. clip, and then figure out if it contains several seconds of footage I can use. And I'll be making and changing these decisions of what's worth to keep as I keep editing. But all of those GBs in there sounds scary! any advice?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 1, 2018 at 12:22:48 am

The normal process for giving a project and the media to someone else for color correction is to copy only the media that was used in your finished timeline. Another term for that process is project consolidation. When you consolidate a project you normally would consolidate the project and the media to another drive. You should never delete any of the original media from the main project drive.

If you don't have another drive, go and purchase a cheap 1 terabyte usb3 drive and then do the media consolidation onto that drive.

[Milla Spivey] "I also have another project that will take tons of space as it was shot in 4K."

4k requires that you either have a fast raid to play back the media smoothly or that you create proxy files of all of your 4k media before you start editing. And the workflow for any project is to bring in all of your media into the project to determine what you'll need. Never think in terms of trimming media before bringing it into edit.

Hard drives are cheap and raids are also relatively cheap so if you'll be working with large amounts of media get yourself a bunch of storage so that you can work efficiently.

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Adobe CC 2018

Return to posts index

Milla Spivey
on May 1, 2018 at 1:07:09 am

Oh yes, I keep buying the hard drives and yes, I do use proxies editing 4K. Question is, if all my footage is imported into the project, it becomes so huge I can't figure how to share all of it with the color correction person without deleting unneeded footage files one by one. Because I do not give just my premiere file for color work, but also copy all of the footage with it, correct? I am not sure if I'm making myself clear

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on May 1, 2018 at 1:20:26 am

You're making yourself clear but your not listening to what Greg is saying.

If you need to reduce the amount of footage your going to give to the colourist then all he needs is the footage that you used in the timeline generally with 12 to 24 Frame handles. This is called CONSOLIDATION and is a feature that all NLE's have.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Milla Spivey
on May 1, 2018 at 1:17:51 am

When you say "When you consolidate a project you normally would consolidate the project and the media to another drive", do you mean I need to delete unused files one by one? Because from the tutorial it's easy to delete them from the project file, but not where it's all stored, the media itself. Or is there a faster way to only copy just the clips you actually used while consolidating? I'm confused

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 1, 2018 at 1:35:21 am

Milla, I think what you’re not understanding is that you NEVER delete any of your original media.

The process of consolidation is a completely separate process and it’s really just a process of duplicating the files that you used in your timeline and saving thide duplicates to another location.

And if this isn’t clear you’ll need to make YouTube your friend.

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Adobe CC 2018

Return to posts index

Milla Spivey
on May 1, 2018 at 3:54:23 am

Mmm.. the reason I'm asking is that I watched a youtube video on consolidating in Premiere first time you mentioned consolidation. The Youtube guy said you can get rid of unused clips in Premiere project itself, but in order to reduce the clips on your hard drive you need to go one by one. But someone I had talked to said he knew that Avid had long had a feature that you could get rid of unused footage in your drive, too. Provided you keep originals, of course. So I double-checked with you guys if I need to delete them one by one. As you now mentioned " duplicating the files that you used in your timeline and saving thide duplicates to another location", I'll keep looking for more manuals on 'consolidating'. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 1, 2018 at 4:42:24 pm

[Milla Spivey] "The Youtube guy said you can get rid of unused clips in Premiere project itself, but in order to reduce the clips on your hard drive you need to go one by one."

Well, this would be the potential downside of using YouTube for tutorial purposes. If that was his advice then it's completely wrong.

The notion of going through files one by one on a drive to clean out a project is quite simply idiotic.

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Adobe CC 2018

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]