FORUMS: list search recent posts

What happen if i shoot Ntsc in a Pal Contry ?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Fredty
What happen if i shoot Ntsc in a Pal Contry ?
on Apr 29, 2018 at 7:02:04 am

Okay. I have a Sony a6300
And thats a sick camera.
I'm living in EU
and i have to film PAL Right ?

Because if i'm filming in ntsc i have 120 fps 60 fps 24 fps and 30

If i film in PAL i have 100fps 50fps 25fps

My question is: Does it really matter ?
What happen if i upload a ntsc video on a PAl contry ?

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: What happen if i shoot Ntsc in a Pal Contry ?
on Apr 29, 2018 at 8:09:45 am

Depends if you need to edit with any other frame rates and/or deliver to a particular spec (ie UK broadcasters require 1080/50i generally)

Also you may get more pronounced flickering from 50Hz light sources at non ‘PAL’ frame rates. http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/flicker-free-video-tutorial

Return to posts index

Jake Fredty
on Apr 29, 2018 at 8:23:49 am

The reason why i wanted to switch is i heard that 24 fps gives more cinematic look than 25 fps.

and 120 fps is better than 100 fps.

But the flicker thing does that happen often ?`

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 29, 2018 at 2:00:26 pm

Yes. The flicker is a real issue. You can use software to try to fix it in post, but it doesnt always work. Its worse if you do any speed effects (slo mos, etc).

There are things your cinematographer can do with shutter speed to minimize it, but I’m not a camera guy. I think you can find the answer with some google searching.

Don’t ignore the problem until its too late. People shoot “NTSC” in “PAL” countries all the time, so it can be done. But do it right.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 30, 2018 at 4:56:03 pm

[Jake Fredty] "The reason why i wanted to switch is i heard that 24 fps gives more cinematic look than 25 fps."

Really? You think you can actually perceive a difference of one frame per second?
What snake oil salesman tried to convince you of that?

Go with 25fps. If you have to deliver 25fps, don't over-complicate your life for one lousy frame per second.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Apr 29, 2018 at 4:01:27 pm

Hi,
there are mostly no consequences, for the simple reason that nobody really uses NTSC or PAL anymore as they are analogue standards. In the UK they have completely stopped broadcast of the analogue standards, don't really know about rest of Europe but I doubt they do there either.

There are some legacy considerations, frame rates and sizes but again most people stick to the SD and HD sizes so not a lot of difference there. I actually prefer to record in 30fps, even if my camera warns me every time it starts that it is in NTSC mode! The main reason for this is that it helps to reduce jitter/stutter when subjects are moving across the screen. Also the default refresh rates for computer monitors is 60Hz, so unless you change that you should still be better off. A 60 Hz computer monitor should do better with 24 or 30 fps. Note a monitor at 60Hz refresh will do a good job with 25p.

People in this thread have already mentioned the main downsides, e.g. Broadcast or DVD will place constraints.
Also they mentioned the problem of filming lights that refresh at the national rates and then it would be better to choose that rate. However some cameras have a configurable Flicker Reduce mode where you can configure it to defend against Flicker generated by the mains frequency (however if you are running on batteries you should be immune to that.)

If you are just uploading to YouTube or Vimeo there shouldn't be any problem, however if you are recording commercially then pay a lot of attention to the specifications they give you.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 2, 2018 at 2:27:16 pm

"nobody really uses NTSC or PAL anymore as they are analogue standards. "

This is true in that NTSC and PAL actually refer to specific industry standards of SD video, so those labels do not apply to HD video formats. However, people still use those terms really to refer to frame rates of what they are shooting. So "NTSC" means 29.97 frames per second while "PAL" refers to 25fps.

Aside from the potential light flickering issue, if you want to create DVD or Blu-ray of what you shoot, then shoot at a frame rate supported for that media, in the country that you wish to distribute those discs, to ensure best playback compatibility and quality.

If your footage will only ever be viewed on computers/web sites (YouTube, etc.) then frame rate is not a big deal, as the computer will play anything so do what you prefer then.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]