FORUMS: list search recent posts

What happens if I put my 24 fps footage into a 30 fps project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Waters
What happens if I put my 24 fps footage into a 30 fps project
on Apr 27, 2018 at 1:19:12 pm

What will happen if I put my 24 fps footage into a 30 fps project? Will anything bad happen? Is this wrong? I am transcoding the footage.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: What happens if I put my 24 fps footage into a 30 fps project
on Apr 27, 2018 at 2:57:26 pm

I can see the need to transcode, but why do you need to change the frame rate?

Just sticking 23.976 footage into a 29.97 timeline won't cut it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 27, 2018 at 4:43:07 pm

Dave,

What??? Are you aware that there are times when you know what you’re talking about but no one else does... this is one of those occasions.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2018 at 4:57:07 pm

23.976 in a 29.97 timeline is going to result in jerky motion...
unless PP has some sort of Silver Bullet squirreled away that can evenly spread 24 frames across 30 frames.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2018 at 4:55:11 pm

If your project is 59.94i (29.97 interlaced) then pulldown will be added to the 23.98 footage to make it into smooth 30fps (like what happens when TV shows shoot film at 24fps, but have it transferred to data files at 29.97). Premiere will add the pulldown.

If the project/sequence is 30p...well, then 6 duplicate frames will happen in the footage and it will look slightly stuttery. Just a little. Nothing can be done about this...progressive to progressive frame rate conversions always just double up on a few frames.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Louis Waters
on Apr 27, 2018 at 5:33:59 pm

[Shane Ross] "If your project is 59.94i (29.97 interlaced) then pulldown will be added to the 23.98 footage to make it into smooth 30fps (like what happens when TV shows shoot film at 24fps, but have it transferred to data files at 29.97). Premiere will add the pulldown.

If the project/sequence is 30p...well, then 6 duplicate frames will happen in the footage and it will look slightly stuttery. Just a little. Nothing can be done about this...progressive to progressive frame rate conversions always just double up on a few frames."

Yes this makes the most sense thanks!

Return to posts index

Eliot Scarpetti
on Apr 30, 2018 at 5:11:05 pm

If on a single clip, use "Clip->Video Options->Time Interpolation->Optical Flow"
If on an entire sequence, when you are exporting, at the bottom of export window, choose "Optical flow" as the Time interpolation method.

It isn't perfect, and if you're a pixel peeper you might notice some odd artifacts here and there, but in the normal course of most applications no one will be able to tell. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]