FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics now software only after attempted use of integrated gfx

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Lear
Graphics now software only after attempted use of integrated gfx
on Apr 23, 2018 at 8:22:38 am

I attempted to use the new feature of hardware accelerated encoding as described here http://www.focuspulling.com/cc2018/ and here

I was able to turn on my integrated gfx in BIOS which was disabled by default. It did seem to work initially.

Then I unwisely did two things at once

1) I thought that I wanted to make sure the Intel drivers were the latest so I downloaded the grpahics drivers for my chip (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4-50-GHz-)

2) I updated Premiere from 12.1.0 to 12.1.1

After that, when I tried to export, the preview screen showed a strong green and magenta cast - not a subtle one, a very strong shift.

I have now tried downgrading Premiere to 12.1.0, I tried uninstalling the Intel driver, I've also disabled the iGFX. But I am left worse than I started - the OpenCL acceleration for playback has now gone! Loads of red bars!

Any help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Lear
Re: Graphics now software only after attempted use of integrated gfx
on Apr 23, 2018 at 9:29:17 am

Update:

Totally uninstalled my AMD driver according to this guide https://community.amd.com/thread/180667

Uninstalled Premiere and re-installed 12.1.0 with restarts in between.

Trashed prefs.

But Open CL is still not showing (in Premiere or Media Encoder)

Windows i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 32 GB RAM, Radeon RX 480 8GB GFX

Return to posts index

Nicholas Lear
on Apr 23, 2018 at 10:00:18 am

Have now completely uninstalled Premiere, Media Encoder and Creative Cloud. No success.

I saw this thread with the same looking problem https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2466011 so it would seem it is the intel driver and nothing to do with the small update from 12.1.0 to 12.1.1

But that driver is uninstalled now - I no longer have the pink problem, just that Premiere no longer gives me OpenCL accelleration which it did before.

GPUsniffer confirms it isn't seeing my RX 480 which it was before.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder CC 2018>GPUsniffer.exe
GPUSniffer testing 254
--- OpenGL Info ---
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
OpenGL Version: 4.5.13506 Compatibility Profile Context 23.20.15017.3010 23.20.15017.3010
GLSL Version: 4.50
Monitors: 2
--- GPU Computation Info ---
Did not find any devices that support GPU computation.

Windows i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 32 GB RAM, Radeon RX 480 8GB GFX

Return to posts index

Nicholas Lear
on Apr 23, 2018 at 6:10:41 pm

Panic over, have solved problem.

I re-enabled the iGPU in BIOS and then downloaded and installed the previous Intel graphics driver for the HD 630 - v15.60 (Support for IntelĀ® HD Graphics 630 )

Interestingly, during install it stated that I had a more recent driver installed - even though I had un-installed the driver via Windows. I ignored that error and went ahead.

Now I have OpenCL back AND hardware accelerated H.264 encode - win win!

All of this would have been avoided if I hadn't installed the latest Intel graphics driver. Happily that other thread pointed me in the right direction.

I did a quick test of H.264 hardware acceleration vs software of a 2min 4k timeline with minimal fx output to 720p which is what I usually do at the moment to send offline edits to my client. When I did it direct from Premiere, software won at 2.50 vs HW at 3.04. But from Media Encoder, hardware won at 2.39 vs 2.59 for software. Slightly odd, but at least it does speed things up a bit in AME & I imagine those savings really add up on a big timeline with lots of effects.

GPUsniffer output now:

--- GPU Computation Info ---

Found 2 devices supporting GPU computation.

OpenCL Device 0 -

Name: Ellesmere

Vendor: AMD

Capability: 2.1

Driver: 2

Total Video Memory: 8192MB

OpenCL Device 1 -

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630

Vendor: Intel

Capability: 2.1

Driver: 2.1

Total Video Memory: 13044MB