FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with Multiple Masks in Premier Pro.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Adams
Working with Multiple Masks in Premier Pro.
on Apr 21, 2018 at 4:04:03 am

I have a video I that has three errors I need to correct with Premier Pro CC2017. Attached is a still from the video. Error 1 is that the corner of the poster board I shot on is visible in the upper left corner. Error 2 is that the two plates are not level. Error 3 is the speck that is due to a lens defect in the iPhone 6 that I shot with. (It doesn't seem like the image uploaded. Hopefully you can get the idea from the text above.)

I'm able to correct the poster board problem by making a copy of the clip on a new track, creating an opacity mask on the upper track to the right of the bad corner, where there's plenty of solid white area, and then moving the mask left to cover the defect. And I can do the same thing to fix the speck. I can't fix the uneven plate problem by simply rotating the video itself because then I get black triangles on the sides. What I can do, though, is create a mask just outside the plates and hands and then rotate that by -0.5 degrees.

What I'm having trouble doing is applying all these fixes to my clip. I'd like to create three masks, one for each problem, and apply repositioning to the corner and speck masks and rotation to the level mask, but it doesn't appear to be possible to create multiple masks where each can be adjusted independently. As soon as I position one mask, they all move the same amount. So the first question, is there a way to create multiple masks and adjust them independently?

I tried to get around this by applying one mask, exporting the video and then importing that video and applying the second mask to it, etc. That seemed to work, i.e., I got a video with all the errors fixed but when I gave it to Squarespace as a Banner video, which is supposed to loop automatically, Sqauarespace won't loop this video. Uploading the raw video with just one of the error fixed does loop ok. I have no idea what's happening there, but if anyone has an idea I would be grateful for any information.

I tried to attach my still image to this post but after uploading it I don't see the image in any box where I can click it.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Larry Amon
Re: Working with Multiple Masks in Premier Pro.
on Jul 22, 2018 at 12:46:07 pm

I found a way around this. After I applied the first mask, I right clicked and chose Nest to nest the clip, basically making the first mask baked in and then I could apply a second mask and control it independently. However I could no longer adjust the first mask. So I found that if you only make masks after you apply the Nest, Premiere creates separate sequences and you can go into each one and still edit each mask, so just dont apply any masks until after you nest. You can nest multiple times also. This allowed me to mask and even use the invert tool multiple times and still go back and change each mask as needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]