FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Mixed Clips In Constant Framerate

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Friesen
Exporting Mixed Clips In Constant Framerate
on Apr 20, 2018 at 7:25:47 pm

I work in Television Broadcast and the networks system is only capable of handling files with a constant 29.97 frame rate. Only problem, our camera people and graphics designers always forget this so we have to edit our shows with a mix of 29.97 and 24 footage. This of corse results in the final episode render having a variable frame rate.

Is there anyway I can fix this? I found a work around where you can convert the files to 29.97 with Render and Replace then ingest them individually in after effects. But this takes up a LOT of time. When the production season for next year starts I won't have time to fix this. Does anyone know a faster way of fixing this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Exporting Mixed Clips In Constant Framerate
on Apr 20, 2018 at 9:02:42 pm

"results in the final episode render having a variable frame rate."

I think there is some confusion here. Doesn't matter what frame rates are used in the Sequence - when you Export the timeline, the exported file will ALWAYS have a FIXED FRAME RATE, being whatever the frame rate was set to in Export Settings. Meaning regardless of what different frame rates are used in the timeline clips, they are all get converted to the output frame rate at time of export.

So you have mixed clips in Sequence, being 23.976 and 29.97 clips. Edit in a 29.97 sequence, since that is ultimately what you want to end up with, then export also as 29.97, and any clips that are NOT 29.97 will be converted in the final output which is all 29.97 frames per second.

There may be methods of converting the frame rates of individual clips prior to editing them. Not anything I've needed to deal with as I always shoot my own footage, at the desired frame rate, so perhaps someone else can chime in with their favorite method of changing frame rate with best results, perhaps using After Effects?

Of course, when creating a Sequence to edit in, and also when exporting, make sure FIELDS are set correctly. Could be None (Progressive), or Upper, or Lower. Find out from whoever will be using final file, they should have the exact specs of what they need. If 1080i, then that is always Upper. If 1080p, that is Progressive. With SD video, could be either Upper or Lower, depends sometimes on various factors.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 20, 2018 at 10:18:27 pm

Jeff raises good points.
The key to this whole thing -- what kind of video file do you have to DELIVER? Dimensions? Interlacing? Details, please!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicholas Friesen
on Apr 21, 2018 at 3:58:14 am

I have to deliver a 1080 perogressive Quicktime MOV file with a constant 29.97 framerate

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2018 at 1:24:17 pm

[Nicholas Friesen] "I have to deliver a 1080 perogressive Quicktime MOV file with a constant 29.97 framerate"

Progressive, huh? Well, then you're hosed. Your other guys absolutely MUST deliver 29.97 files. No 23.976! No 24!

If you mix 23.976 and 29.97, you're going to have motion problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicholas Friesen
on Apr 21, 2018 at 4:09:03 am

I need to deliver a 1080P Quicktime MOV with a constant 29.97 frame rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]