FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any Powerpoint users out there?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McCoy
Any Powerpoint users out there?
on Apr 19, 2018 at 1:44:14 pm

I know how to export an entire powerpoint presentation as a video, so that's not what the issue is.

I'm doing a very.... very long video where the client wants to have his entire powerpoint presentation displayed alongside of the footage we shot of him speaking during the conference.

There are about 600 different slides.

Most of them are static images, and I can (and tediously have) gone through and laid them out meticulously so that they match up to the timing of the slides as he presented them during the conference. That is fine for about 500 of them.

There's still about 100 of them that are dynamic slides with some form of animation in them.

It's necessary for the animation to remain in them as opposed to just turning them into static images.

So, bottom line:

Does anyone know if there is a way in powerpoint to do some kind of batch export or selective export of JUST the slides with animation, where each individual slide is exported as a separate video? Or do I have to keep going in, one at a time, and doing the "reuse slide" function, and manually exporting each one as a video one by one?

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
Re: Any Powerpoint users out there?
on Apr 19, 2018 at 3:07:19 pm

When I need to include the PP animation, I use a screen capture software and run the entire slide show (quickly) then use freeze frames to time to speaker.

Good Luck,

Jim

Return to posts index

Nick McCoy
on Apr 19, 2018 at 4:09:29 pm

[Jim Cunningham] "When I need to include the PP animation, I use a screen capture software and run the entire slide show (quickly) then use freeze frames to time to speaker."

Cool, just so I'm clear though, after you export the whole presentation as a video from Powerpoint....

What screen cap software do you use?

What method are you using (i.e. player/software/etc. ) for the playback of the slideshow video you exported from Powerpoint
where you can still see the slides that the speaker is using and/or hear what they are saying?

I'm not normally one to ask for hand holding. i'm just kind of overwhelmed at the moment - partially because of my terrible workflow on this thing I'm sure, LOL. I so appreciate your input!

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Apr 20, 2018 at 2:19:13 am

I thought he meant do a screen capture direction from the PP presentation playing on your screen.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
on Apr 19, 2018 at 3:38:29 pm

Yeah me too on the screen capture. I use Screencastomatic Pro GREAT software - Then you can go through the slide show and hold every still as long as you need.

I do a lot of split screen with speaker

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Nick McCoy
on Apr 19, 2018 at 3:57:42 pm

Eric, I think I get the idea, but are you talking about this software here? This looks like cloud based software, and I'm not sure if it would handle the 4k stuff I'm working with smoothly if that's the case, unless I'm missing something.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/gopro

Link would be appreciated to the software you are referring to, thanks :)

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 19, 2018 at 9:52:36 pm

Delete all the slides you DON't need from the presentation and export the animating ones as one long animation and then edit in your editor.

Bam!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Nick McCoy
on Apr 19, 2018 at 11:32:59 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Delete all the slides you DON't need from the presentation and export the animating ones as one long animation and then edit in your editor."

I did try that approach and I think it would work great for a shorter presentation. I'll give it a shot the next time I have one to work on that's not this long with the slides already laid out as .png files on a separate video track on the timeline in Premiere. For now, I've gone and made a video export of every individual slide I need, and am currently plopping them down into place in the timeline, then going from there. Tedious, but it will get it done.

Totally appreciate the help!

After much.....much searching, conferring with those of you who were kind enough to offer their wisdom, and talking to a few friends of mine that use powerpoint a whole lot more than I do, I think that the solutions we have all come up with are about the only ones that are out there.

Seems like there is perhaps an opportunity here for someone smarter than I that knows how to create software ☺

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 20, 2018 at 9:38:09 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Apr 20, 2018 at 9:56:49 pm

I handle this a different way, maybe a little more "brute force"...

I bring an iso KiPro recorder to the event and capture direct from the laptop's output (use a DA) before it hits the projector, with audio grabbed from the house system or my camera, which concentrates on the speaker. Captures all the animations. Preserves the exact timing for every slide. Auto-align them in post in seconds via audio match, and then I create a split screen/crop so the speaker and the slides are up together, in synch the whole time.

Then I can JKL skim the presentation at about double-speed and look for places that could use full-frame shots. In spots where I want the slide up full, or the speaker up full, I slice the tracks or mark in and out on the fly, and "normal" the needed segment, taking out any positioning and scaling, etc. with one click.

I find for the really long and tedious lectures, this is the fastest way and saves a lot of steps while delivering a good look that the viewer can appreciate.

Return to posts index

Nick McCoy
on Apr 21, 2018 at 12:19:20 am

I so envy you. 😃

My employer tried a very reudementary version of this once, back when they were doing ALL of the production in-house. Due to a small budget, inexperience (and I'm sure other factors), it did not work out the way they tried to capture the presentation in-progress. It must have left a very bad taste in their mouths because I was immediately shut down when I brought it up.

Do you have any links to your work? Maybe if I were able to show the big boss what it can look like done the right way, they might reconsider the way they are going about it. This (hours long conference/lecture videos) is literally all we do video-wise. I end up looking inept because it takes me weeks to crank out amateurish looking videos. GIGO. lol.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 21, 2018 at 5:37:31 am

I regret to say I don't have permission to show you samples. While they're technically public domain, accessing them outside the current user base is something I'm not authorized personally to do. That's true for a lot of my work, stuff that will never win an award, but it does the job for the audience.

You can tell your boss that I've been shooting these kind of lectures for just shy of twenty years, starting on umatic tape and one-inch master reels, thru Betacam and DVC Pro and onto P2 and hard drives. And have done it the way you do now, as well as live-switching it on location and the way I've outlined in this thread. Before I had hard drive recording available, I'd shoot the screen with a dedicated second camera, or iso the laptop by connecting a $6k scan converter and portable Betacam deck or DVD recorder between the VGA output and the projector, which was better than the camera. I'd rip the DVD-R's with MPEG Streamclip and drop that into my edit, aligning by hand using the audio. STILL faster than manually putting in every slide and adjusting the timing to make it work.

If you can't afford a live-switch setup, ( and these days almost anybody can) in my professional opinion after doing literally hundreds of these, the most time- (and therefore cost) -efficient manner is to live-capture the slide output on an iso recorder with audio, and multicam edit it with the live camera of the presenter.

I've done about five of these this year so far, with run times ranging from 30 minutes to 4 hours and doing it with the iso recording, I've gotten the turn-around time down to about 1.5 times whatever the original running time of the live presentation was. That means I turn around a complete edit of a simple 4-hour lecture, with synched slides, in *about* six hours. Five, if I skip lunch. But that makes me grumpy.

And that's with either one or two cameras (I run a locked-off wide shot on a second camera sometimes which is good for cut-aways and breaking up the monotony. It doesn't add to the edit time.)

The way you're doing it now, you are editing slower than real-time. I'm going to guess, your time ratio is about 2.5 to 4 times real-time. Meaning, an hour takes you two and a half to 4 hours to cut. Best case, you're marking in and outs on the fly while JKL-skimming the camera track at 2x speed, you stop the playback, note the duration, and apply that new duration to the requisite slide, drop it in, move on. But that doesn't get you the animations, unless you play out the slide show manually while listening to the camera track and manually tripping the animations on cue, screen-capturing that as you do it, as many times as that takes to get right, then saving the capture, then importing it into the NLE, and lining it up. Am I right? Now your edit time ratio's about 5 or 6x, right? I could read a book by the time you get that job done.

I do a 4-5 hour annual training lecture for a certain state agency every year. Three years ago, we did it the way your boss makes you do it now, and the edit took about a week, more or less. Since we went to iso recording the laptop outputs and multi-camming it in post, we got the same edit job down to a single day, or 7 hours. That's money. And we increased the quality from SD-grade to HD grade. The miles-long spreadsheet displays are now actually readable on the screen. Even after crunching it down to mpeg 4 compressed web streams. And we get time-sensitive product to the user about four days sooner than originally.

This year I might live-switch the same same setup into a Tricaster, and cut another two hours or so out of post production time. Plus I will still have the isos as a back-up to fix any mistakes in the live switch, unlikely as that is.

Seriously, you are throwing time and thus money away by NOT doing it with an iso record. Very worst case, the iso will show you the timing if for some reason you have to re-edit and drop in the original slides from a file. Copy-paste this post to your boss. I'm from out of town, as all the best consultants are, and by virtue of that alone, he'll take my word over yours, though we're telling him the same thing.

So they screwed it up once before. That's the past. It's much easier to do today with an all-digital workflow, and you need to do a dry-run test to be sure you understand the equipment and settings. You'll need a distribution amplifier to split off the laptop's HDMI output, to feed the hard drive recorder and projector together. For your first try, you might be able to rent that, and the drive. I like KiPros but there are plenty of others out there at various price points. Ideally that recorder needs to be able to accept a mic input for synch purposes, but if everything records free-run, you can still get by even without audio in the hard drive recording, and it will STILL be a faster edit than your current method... You'll want a portable monitor for confidence monitoring of the hard drive recording. Drop 100-200 on a consumer HD camcorder and use that as a back-up iso of just the projector screen as well, cheap insurance.

There's another way... I have never tried it because I don't trust the laptops I encounter. But... if you were to turn on screen recording on the laptop just before the show starts... when it's done, you have a live-timed animated recording that just needs to be converted to drop into your NLE timeline. I can't know if a particular laptop holds enough memory to run the ppt and record the thing for more than an hour, so I can't recommend it except as an experiment or for shorter projects.

And with that, another method comes to mind. Powerpoint has a "rehearse timings" presentation mode, that's not as memory-intesive as screen recording. If you can get the lecturer to present with this mode, then save at the end of the presentation, you can tell powerpoint to output a movie with the rehearsed timings, which in fact are the live show timings.... see where I'm going with this? A variation could be, you bring your OWN laptop or tablet with a copy of the presenter's PPT and during the presentation, in real time, YOU manually time out the slides following what he does, in "rehearse timing" mode. Take that home, render out the timed movie, (WITH the animations) plug it into the NLE, line up the start times and be considered a wizard. Test this before you count on it, as Powerpoint keeps changing from version to version and I don't keep up with all the changes.

I hope something in there helped you out - if nothing else, to know that someone else understands what you're going thru. Been there, done that, got the iso recording. :-P

Return to posts index

Nik Alhazred
on Apr 21, 2018 at 7:35:13 pm

You made my day with this post! ☺ . You are so dead on. It is ridiculous how inefficient our current system is. It absolutely is at LEAST a 5:1 hour ratio for squeezing out an edit right now, and frankly, it's an unpolished ugly looking thing that, as I think I mentioned, doesn't do me any favors. Add on a second cut for any changes requested from the client and that's another 1:1 so yeah. Stupid long turnaround times. You are a pro among pros. Thanks so much for your understanding and taking the time to provide amazing step-by-step advice. I will definitely figure out a way to finesse this into a conversation with my bossman since it will save him a lot of stress too!

You rock. Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]