FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vive HMD for 360 VR editing/playback in Premiere cc2018 April update?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Moore
Vive HMD for 360 VR editing/playback in Premiere cc2018 April update?
on Apr 17, 2018 at 4:31:09 pm
Last Edited By Jason Moore on Apr 18, 2018 at 9:50:04 pm

I'd like to connect my HTC Vive to Premiere cc2018 April update to view and edit 360 VR videos inside Premiere. I saw one video on Facebook but it appeared I needed to purchase the $200 Mettle Mantra plugin. Can anyone advise? I'm a Mac user, BTW, running these specs:

Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
2x 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
64GB 1333MHz DDR3
AMD ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB
1TB SSD
OS 10.13

EDIT: I've been doing some research, here is what I'm learning - not 100% sure if it's 100% correct though:
- the latest version of Premiere Pro CC 2018 supports HMDs (vive,rift) on the PC platform assuming the PC is VR ready. You need to have Steam VR installed and running - you'll see the little steam vr icons on the lower left corner lit up in green to let you know the computer sees your HMD and controllers. For anyone using VR this will be familiar. Premiere natively supports HMD playback without Mantra - there are playback controls in the preferences area, for something like "immersive playback".

And, Macs in general are not quite VR ready, as their internal GPUs are too low grade. This has been an ongoing issue on the Mac platform but there seems to be movement. While there are no Macs on the market with built-in GPUs that are "to spec" for VR, there are some developments on the external GPU front that are interesting. Using thunderbolt 3 (only the most modern macs have this), Ars Technica reported semi-successful tests hooking up HMD's to a Mac.

So for anyone else searching on this topic, that's my update. For the moment: edit on a VR ready PC and you can use your HMD, or wait until Mac offers a VR ready computer. There is some speculation that Apple may release a Mac Pro with the ability to add/swap GPUs but right now it's only speculation.

Freelance director of commercials, film, television and a professor at Brooklyn College, New York

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]