FORUMS: list search recent posts

Modify audio timecode to match the video timecode in sequence

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Bienert
Modify audio timecode to match the video timecode in sequence
on Apr 15, 2018 at 12:46:15 am

I am working as a DIT on a project in without timecode. Syncing video and audio was quite a feat and now the editors need an export in DNxHD MXF OP-Atom for Avid and I am working in Premiere Pro.

To export in that format I tried the DaVinci Resolve workflow:

In Premiere Export synched sequences to XML -> import in DaVinci -> export individual files to DNxHD MXF OP-Atom

The problem with this workflow is that the exported files do not have the synched audio files with them. This only works if the files are synched in DaVinci and it does not work in imported sequences.

The solution to this might be to write the timecode of the video to the audio files and then in DaVinci automatically syncing them up by timecode and export the individual files for Avid.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be very welcomed.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Modify audio timecode to match the video timecode in sequence
on Apr 15, 2018 at 7:09:05 am

What you really need to do is to transcode all the Video to OP-Atom DNxHD in Resolve and then Resync everything in Avid. If you change the timecode of the Audio and transcode from Resolve with Synced Audio the Video Editor(s) won't care but the Audio editor(s) will have major issues with this.

After the Video edit is done the Audio Editor(s) will need to link back to the original Audio in many cases and if you adopt your suggested workflow they won't be able to do that. First, you really should never change the timecode that's embedded in any file and second if you transcode the clips with the synced audio any reference to the original audio will be lost. Linking back will be a nightmare or impossible for the Audio Editors. I've worked with FCP-7, X, Pemiere Pro and Avid but never have I synced in a different NLE than the edit is going to be done with, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Not using timecode is a massive error on everyone's part on a project like yours but if that's the way it's going to be then the only other option is to send a mono audio mix to each camera. Even if the cameras do not have T/C Inputs, products like Tentacle that send T/C to an audio channel are cheap enough to buy or rent and will save everyone from days of frustration, delays and money in the end. If you go the Audio route then you can use the Sync by Audio Waveform feature every NLE now supports and again save, save, save.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]