FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect Ratios...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roderick Salter
Aspect Ratios...
on Apr 14, 2018 at 12:43:56 pm

Hi,
I am a beginner and my question may be completely dumb and sorry if that is the case.

So I don't waste money buying the wrong editing package, I need help determining if I can import into Premiere Pro a video clip shot in 16:9 and some how change or export it as a clip in 16:10 aspect ratio.

Now that said, I tried to do this using a trial version of Premiere Pro and I "think" I was successful. Unfortunately, the trial version had expired (was only for 7 days) before I got to re-test my approach. I think I put the clip into the bin where I was able to crop the ends to get the 16:10 aspect ratio and then placed it in the time line and exported it where it remained as a 16:10 clip.

Why I would like to do this is because at my church we typically get 16:9 video clips to show on occasions but, the new projection system runs 2 Epson WUXGA projectors and 2 16:10 screens. I recently installed this system as I much prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio (just a personal preference). Also, we use Power Point extensively with the 16:10 format. Having the ability to project the clips so they are 16:10 means the screens are completely filled without black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. I appreciate that 16:10 will necessarily crop about 5% off each end of the 16:9 image format however, that in the majority of cases is acceptable as little meaningful information will be lost.

I would be grateful if anyone can assure me that what I want to achieve can be done with Premiere Pro. Even if my way works there may be a better way to do it.

Thanks,
Rod

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Aspect Ratios...
on Apr 14, 2018 at 7:25:50 pm

I hate to say it, but you're like a salmon swimming upstream -- you'll always be struggling.

There are standard aspect ratios and when you use them, things go smoothly once you have your system & workflow worked out. But non-standard aspect ratios? They will ALWAYS take an additional amount of work to use effectively.

You may personally prefer 16:10. But the world works in 16:9. I hope you understand that the slight change makes the journey from Point A to Point B a lot more arduous.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roderick Salter
on Apr 14, 2018 at 11:39:11 pm

Thanks Dave for your reply to my question.

Yes you are correct, 16:10 is not a standard motion picture format. But for the few occasions I need 16:10 then I am prepared to wear the extra hardships that it encounters. That said, I still would like some guidance about how is the best way to do it with Premiere Pro assuming of course that it is possible and that my original attempt was a valid one.

Rod

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 16, 2018 at 4:04:56 am

you will have to select square pixels in the ratio of 1.6. for example, 1440/900=1.6

Return to posts index

Roderick Salter
on Apr 16, 2018 at 4:13:17 am

Thanks Chris.
In my trial version, now expired, I believe I did that but doesn't hurt to be reminded.

ROd

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 16, 2018 at 5:25:57 am

resolve is free up to resolutions UHD.
or hitfilm is free too.

Return to posts index

Roderick Salter
on Apr 16, 2018 at 6:52:01 am

Thanks Chris for these suggestion. I will look into it.
Rod

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Apr 16, 2018 at 4:57:51 pm

Rod - have you thought about using something better than Powerpoint? Like ProPresenter? I believe you can set it up to crop the 16:9 video the way you need. And you can import your PowerPoint presentations into it. I've used it at my church.
TC

Return to posts index

Roderick Salter
on Apr 16, 2018 at 10:55:22 pm

Thanks Todd,
No, I hadn't thought about using something like Pro Presenter but it may be an effective way to address the issue that I have. Thanks for your "thinking out side the box" approach. I will investigate that software and take it from there. There may be some other benefits from using it as well.

Rod

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]