FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why do my proxy videos in premiere pro cc appear upside down in the program panel when press the toggle proxy button on?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gilfeather
Why do my proxy videos in premiere pro cc appear upside down in the program panel when press the toggle proxy button on?
on Apr 13, 2018 at 11:11:23 am

Hi,

I have recorded video from two sources, one source from iPhone 4 (720p) and another from Samsung galaxy note 8 (4k).

I have chosen a common proxy dimension of 1280 x 720 which meets the needs of both sources with an aspect ratio of 1.78

I am using Quicktime GoPro Cineform as my basis to customise the transcode then all I change is the video dimensions.

When I ingest the videos, the proxy videos get created accordingly and having checked them they all play and look good.

The problem is when I place ANY imported video onto a sequence timeline and toggle the proxy to ON my proxy video is upside down??

Why is this video appearing upside down? I have checked all source videos and they are all the right way up, it's just when displayed on the program panel in the editing workspace that the video appears inverted. The video even looks the right way up on the timeline when viewed with continuous thumbnails. On top of this media encoder is sooooo buggy crashing after every three or four transcodes, but thats another issue.

I have found a workaround I think by applying a horizontal and vertical flip effect to the proxy video but all this does is flip the full res video so I am constantly toggling the flip effects on and off depending on the view. Also this is performing unnecessary processing and the goal of using proxies is to reduce the editing demand on the system.

So if anyone knows the solution for this please post asap because I am at a stand still with what seems such a trivial problem atm.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why do my proxy videos in premiere pro cc appear upside down in the program panel when press the toggle proxy button on?
on Apr 13, 2018 at 4:53:25 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 13, 2018 at 4:54:44 pm

[Paul Gilfeather] "Why is this video appearing upside down?"

You shot on a phone. It's easy to shoot upside-down on a phone.

"Hmmmm.... do I rotate the phone 90 degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise?"

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Gilfeather
Re: Why do my proxy videos in premiere pro cc appear upside down in the program panel when press the toggle proxy button on?
on Apr 13, 2018 at 10:27:07 pm

Hi,

I accept there could be some underlying issue having shot on a phone but the ONLY place the video plays inverted is when I click the proxy toggle button. Everywhere else the footage plays correctly. Surely if the orientation of the phone was wrong the video would be upside down all the time?

The 4k footage plays correct, then when it gets scaled down to a proxy movie it displays upside down? This is very strange behaviour??

Return to posts index

Paul Gilfeather
on Apr 15, 2018 at 9:05:46 pm

Hi,

After much research I am much more confident in stating that my issue is nothing to do with the fact the video was recorded allegedly upside down on a smartphone but rather a bug in adobe premiere pro cc v12.1.0 build 186.

To be clear, we are talking about video that plays in quicktime and windows media player correctly and not upside down. The video when dragged onto a sequence timeline also plays correctly. Even when I transcode the video into a smaller version to be used as a proxy video it plays correctly. The issue happens ONLY when I attach to a proxy video. The high quality version will then play correctly but when I toggle the proxy button on to use the proxy video the proxy video is upside down.

The video has been recorded by an iPhone 4 (720p) in horizontal orientation with the headphone jack pointing right. The other video has been recorded by a Galaxy Note 8 (4k) in horizontal orientation with headphone jack pointing left.

The same issue is exhibited by both phone videos and I have tried many things to fix it without success.

I did however resort to re-encoding the high quality videos into a format closely matching the originals and this has been a workaround for now but this is unacceptable because it has created hours more work and time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]