FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pitch Shifter makes audio go out of sync

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle Verdugo
Pitch Shifter makes audio go out of sync
on Apr 10, 2018 at 4:31:13 pm

I'm using pitch shifter to make some voices low and others high pitched and the audio wave forms don't "shift" when the effect is applied. So when the playhead hits the beginning of a waveform, there is a big lag until the audio plays. Makes it hard to edit quickly. Also when it's exported, the audio seems to shift again and some of the audio gets cut off towards the end of someone talking. It's such a pain to go in with tweezers and try to get it all synced through trial and error. Please help! I'm using Premiere Pro CC 12 and I'm on a newish Mac laptop running Sierra. I've looked at sequence settings and nothing seems amiss there - frame rate on native footage is 30 fps, sequence is 30 fps, audio sample rate is 44100, etc.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pitch Shifter makes audio go out of sync
on Apr 10, 2018 at 5:15:51 pm

Use Audition to do this. Lots better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michelle Verdugo
on Apr 11, 2018 at 12:40:22 pm

It appears that Pitch Shifter is the exact same interface in Audition as it is in Premiere. Why is Audition better to use for this? Just curious. thanks!

Return to posts index

Michelle Verdugo
on Apr 10, 2018 at 5:34:09 pm

Right??? If only I knew Audition. I suspect I have some crosshairs in the audio tracks and that being precise and keeping it neat and clean (no tracks that have both pitched and non pitched clips) will fix it. I'll learn Audition and stop messing around soon....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2018 at 6:09:03 pm

Fortunately, Audition is easily learned for the application of basic effects such as you seek.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Apr 10, 2018 at 10:19:53 pm

Just curious... your footage sample rate is 44100, or sequence rate, or both? Video usually has a sample rate of 48000. Just wondering if you purposely chose 44100.
TC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2018 at 11:49:03 pm

[Todd Perchert] "Just wondering if you purposely chose 44100."

Oooh, I missed that detail... plus the frame rate! Who uses 30 fps? It's almost always 29.97.

Little things can cause big problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michelle Verdugo
on Apr 11, 2018 at 1:23:06 am

I didn't choose that sequence rate, that's just what it was. Will circle back once I try 48000 - thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 11, 2018 at 2:13:21 am

Forgive me, but I recommend you double-check frame rates -- on the clips and on the edit timeline.

There are very few cameras that shoot 30 frames/sec. The overwhelming majority of them shoot 29.97. It seems like a minor difference, but these things can come to bite you in the end.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michelle Verdugo
on Apr 11, 2018 at 12:37:54 pm

We are using a macro lens on an iPhone 6 to capture this animation/claymation story. We tried a Canon 5D and some other DSLR's and found that the iPhone was the best for this project - HO size train models are so tiny. Anyway, from what I've read, the iPhone shoots at 30 or 60 fps.

Return to posts index

Michelle Verdugo
on Apr 11, 2018 at 12:46:50 pm

... and the audio is recorded with the Voice Memo app on the iphone so who knows what the frame rate is on that??? It's a gorilla project - cheap and fast.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 11, 2018 at 5:31:47 pm

[Michelle Verdugo] "... and the audio is recorded with the Voice Memo app on the iphone so who knows what the frame rate is on that??? It's a gorilla project - cheap and fast."

An iPhone. Lord, no. Good luck trying to do ANYTHING in that project!

Got any idea of the file type on that audio?
There's more -- iPhones shoot in variable frame rates, and PP absolutely HATES variable frame rate footage.

They say PP CC 2018 fixes that problem, but I don't believe Adobe new-feature hype for a second. I would never, EVER shoot on a phone without using one of the camera apps that force phones to shoot at fixed frame rates.

There's an old video production adage that's been demonstrated to be true time and time again:
"You can have a good project. You can have a cheap project. You can have a fast project. Pick any two."

You've already picked "cheap" and "fast". So guess what's going to suffer?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Apr 11, 2018 at 6:49:47 pm

I'm afraid Dave is right. Even if the new PPro version works better with the variable rates, the plugins may still have difficulty. You may want to convert to something a little friendlier. Give Handbrake a try or you can try transcoding with AME and see if you get something in sync, then apply effects.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]